If you want a kayak for leisure, do you have a kayak model in mind? We have spoken about different models on our page.
Today, we will be comparing the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 vs Pungo 120. First, you should know a little about the history of the Tarpon models.
The Tarpon family began manufacturing models in 2001 with their first model being the Tarpon 160. In 2003, the Tarpon 140 and 120 were manufactured.
In the past, the fishing kayaks were generally built for coastal fishing and the Tarpon models were the first attempt by Wildernesses Systems in producing kayaks made for coastal fishing.
Over time, Wilderness Systems improved further to produce kayaks that were more focused on stability and fishability.
The Tarpon models were also developed with more features that made them suitable for fishing bigger game efficiently.
Table of Contents
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 Pros and Cons
- This kayak is ideal for use in small lakes, still waters, and gentle rivers
- It is very stable
- This kayak is comfortable and adaptable
- It tracks very well
- This kayak does a great job at maneuvering through obstacles in water easily
- The increased maneuverability of this kayak makes it hard for the kayak to move forward effectively during windy weather conditions or with longer paddles
- It is very heavy
- The hatches leak
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 My Test
This is a sit-on-top kayak
- It has great stability, speed and tracking as well
- The kayak weighs 63 Ibs and can be conveniently placed on top of a car and transported from one place to another
- It has carrying handles located at each end of the boat and one on each side in the middle for solo carrying.
- The Tarpon 120 has two opening hatches:
- A front hatch which is located at the bow of the boat
- A mid-ship hatch is located in the middle of the kayak in the front seat to allow easy access even while paddling.
The Tarpon has a phase 3-sit-on-top seating system that is adjustable. This means that it can easily suit the preferences of the users.
For the Tarpon 120, the seat back and the bottom of the seat can be adjusted to the needs of the user. It can be moved forward, backward, up, and down.
To provide maximum comfort for the paddler, the front of the seat can also be adjusted using the leg lifter straps. It can be moved up or down.
Plenty of Storage
This kayak has a lot of storage space.
A large tank well is located just behind the seat and can be used to carry and store different items and equipment such as a cooler, dry bag, milk rate, and importantly get needed for the trip on the water.
In the front of the seat inside the kayak, there are storage pockets that can be used to keep small items.
When the kayak is not in use, the side carrying handles are perfect for carefully securing and holding your paddle to the kayak.
Pungo 120 Pros and Cons
- The pungo 120 has amazing speed and can be paddled easily
- This sit-inside kayak has enough space in its cockpit
- Alongside a vented backrest, this kayak has an adjustable seat
- It provides extreme comfort for the kayaker
- For extended paddling, this kayak has ample knee and thigh padding
- There is enough storage space to keep accessories and items
- This kayak can be transported and stored easily as it is very lightweight
- It is ideal for paddlers that are small to medium-sized
- The paddlers will need to leash all items and equipment stored in this kayak
Pungo 120 Overview
Size and Weight
The Pungo 120 has a length of 371cm and it is 74cm wide. Its deck height is about 35.56cm high
The maximum capacity of the Pungo 120 is 147kg. It weighs about 22kg and is ideal for medium-sized kayakers as they will not encounter any difficulties trying to move, carry or store this kayak.
Asides from having a new dashboard add-on in this model unlike the older models, this kayak provides enough space for small to medium-sized paddlers. It has a cockpit that is 147cm high and 56cm wide.
With this, it is very easy for the kayakers to get in and out of the kayak without experiencing any problems in the process.
The bow and the stern of this kayak also offer enough storage provided that the kayak is within 80% of the maximum carrying capacity. If it is above this, then the performance of the kayak will be greatly affected due to too much load.
What is the Pungo 120 made of?
The best part of the Pungo 120 is its Patented Phase 3 AirPro seating system which crowns the Wilderness Systems as the most comfortable kayaks in the world.
The comfort and adjustability of the Pungo 120 is unmatched. It offers an incredible and amazing experience for the kayakers on the water.
In addition, the dashboard of this kayak has been integrated with a broad interface for optimal customization and features.
How much does a Wilderness Pungo 120 weight?
The Pungo 120 has a weight capacity of 325 Ibs.
Conclusion: Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 vs Pungo 120
Will you consider the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 or the Pungo 120?
Compared to the Pungo 120, the Tarpon 120 is heavier but they both are of the same length. While the Tarpon is a sit-on-top kayak, the Pungo has a shallow cockpit. Many people find the Tarpon extremely comfortable and better to manage.
The Tarpon also has adequate storage and can be used to store or keep fishing rods and gear, especially for extended trips.
With constant updates in the design of the Tarpon models on the topside and below the waterline, the Tarpon still prioritizes performance and fishability.
The most current model is the 2019 Tarpon 120. This model is a reincarnated version of the previous Tarpon 120 boy with more enhanced and developed features.
In addition, thanks to the adjustable leg pegs, the Tarpon 120 is convenient for kayakers of different sizes and heights. There is enough legroom for taller paddlers and they can adjust the seat freely.
The Pungo 120 has a very comfortable and adjustable seat to suit the needs, preferences, style, and size of the kayaker.
It has a 3D foam seat which has ample seating and cushioning to ensure that your thighs remain numb-free and well supported even during extended trips on the water.