If you go boating and fishing occasionally and do not want to buy a huge boat or a really expensive trolling motor for those few times, you should opt for a cheaper alternative. One does not need an expensive trolling motor or other expensive boating equipment to go out and enjoy boating and other activities on the river or the lake.
You can go for something like the Intex Trolling Motor for Intex Inflatable Boats as a cheaper and more convenient option as compared to the other boats and motors.
You just need to purchase an inflatable boat, which is portable and much easier to transport and pair it with the Intex trolling motor for your occasional boating trips.
The Intex Trolling Motor, along with the inflatable boat, will be much more affordable and convenient to transport as compared to the other trolling motors and the heavy boats in the market; thus, it will be great for someone who is more of a hobbyist.
Table of Contents
The Intex Trolling Motor My Test
The Intex Trolling Motor is made for inflatable boats, which are used for lightweight fishing and boating trips on the lake.
This motor is one of the best trolling motors in the market as observed by some of the features that it offers to enhance the users’ boating and fishing experience.
- The control panel consists of a grade A battery meter, to inform about the charge which the motor is running on. The panel also consists of an automatic escape weed control key, which deeds the propellers on its own, thus making the fishing experience smooth and hassle-free.
- It has a great and smooth adjustable handle, which tilts upwards to the angles of 45, 30, 15, and 0 degrees. While the handle also has the function of tilting downwards, till the angle of 75 degrees. Further, the handle has a basic speed control panel that you can find in most of the trolling motors, which is 5 speeds forward, off, and 3 speeds reverse.
- The motor comes with a sturdy shaft, which is optimum for depth perception and can be used in both salt as well as fresh water, due to its corrosion-resistant material.
- The model in use has a 40lb thrust variant, which can easily be operated on a 420W, 12V DC battery, which can be used throughout the day. The motor is also paired with a soft start function, which regulates the speed with which the motor goes from off to on and the speed it is going with.
- The motor is compatible with both saltwater and freshwater, thus can be used in both types of water bodies, without the issue of it getting corroded.
- The Intex Trolling Motor makes very little noise, which enhances your boating and fishing experience.
- It also has an automatic weed control escape in its control panel, which allows you to boat and fish hassle-free.
- The control handle is extremely smooth and can be operated at several angles.
- It is available at a great and an extremely competitive price point.
- This trolling motor can only be used for inflatable boats and is mostly compatible with Intex inflatable boats, which makes it unsuitable for the people who have a normal boat.
- The Intex Trolling Motor is not waterproof, and if not careful with it, it can get spoiled very easily. Thus you will need to put a cover on it for safety.
- Your boat needs a built-in motor mount settings for this motor to be installed, thus making its installation complicated and incompatible for many.
Features and Benefits
The Intex Trolling Motor is made for inflatable boats and mostly for Intex inflatable boats that have a built-in mount setting for the motor to be mounted on.
This motor is extremely light and is perfect for boaters who need to transport their entire boating gear from their homes to the lake or the river.
It can take the weight of several people on the boat; thus, one can enjoy his/her boating trip with ease.
Further, the Intex Trolling Motor is not noisy like the other trolling motors available in the market; thus, it does not scare the fish away.
Further, this boating motor has an automatic cooling system and soft start, which moderates the speed of the motor when it starts and stops and prevents it from heating up.
The Intex Trolling Motor can be used in both salt water as well as fresh water bodies, thus making it convenient for the users.
Pair the Intex Trolling Motor with a powerful battery, and it can easily last throughout the day, without stopping or giving any issues.
One issue with the product is that it is not waterproof; thus, the user needs to be careful while using it.
Thus the overall performance of the Intex Trolling Motor is quite smooth and sturdy, which gives the users a great experience and complete value for the money.
Built and Design
The Intex Trolling Motor comes with a simple built quality and design, which is classic yet elegant.
The motor is nice and light and is easy to install on Intex inflatable boats and other boats that have a motor mount installed.
The built quality is not the best and it is not even waterproof; thus, it gets inconvenient for the users to use it.
Other than that, the battery meter is pretty sturdy and easy to read and gives accurate readings.
The motor also does not heat up much and has a cooling system to deal with overheating issues.
The propellers are also quite sturdy and are equipped with the technology to remove the weed themselves, making it extremely convenient for the users.
Thus the overall built quality and design is not the best I have seen but is pretty decent for all the basic boating and fishing needs.
Compatibility and Usage
The Intex Trolling Motor is not extremely compatible as it is only compatible with inflatable boats and with only those that have an inbuilt motor mount on it.
Other than that, this motor is extremely easy and simple to use with a really comfortable and smooth boat handle, which can be used at various angles to shift the speed forward as well as backward.
The motor has eight speeds, which are 5 forward and 3 reverse, which shifts with great ease while using the handle.
The motor also has an inbuilt cooling and soft start system which controls the speed of the boat and avoids overheating or the motor from stopping.
Further, if the motor is coupled with a decent battery, it can last for an entire day without stopping and heating up. Thus in overall usage, this motor is extremely easy and compatible to use and has an extremely smooth and comfortable handle to it.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Trolling Motor
One has to consider certain things before purchasing a trolling motor.
- If that motor is compatible with your inflatable boat or kayak?
- Whether the motor is waterproof or not?
- What price range does it come under?
- Is it compatible in both saltwater and freshwater?
After considering all these questions, you should opt to buy a motor as having thorough knowledge of the product you intend to purchase is important.
There are several other trolling motors which compete with the Intex Trolling Motor, such as the
1. Newport Vessels NV-Series Trolling Motor
This motor comes with several thrust variations such as the 36lb, 55lb, and the 62lb; there are also other Newport Vessels Trolling Motor variations, with certain differences, such as there being a 30-degree shifting handling head in the X-Series, for maximum compatibility and comfort, as well as the difference in speeds and the LED battery meters.
2. AQUOS Haswing Cayman White Trolling Motor
The AQUOS Haswing Cayman White Trolling Motor is another alternative, which is much costlier, providing more or less the same service but for a much higher price.
One major difference being that this trolling motor can be coupled with any boat or raft regardless of it being inflatable or not.
3. Minn Kota Edge Bow Mount Foot Control Trolling Motor
The Minn Kota Edge Bow Mount Foot Control Trolling Motor provides the same support and comfort as the Intex Trolling Motor, which is much needed if you conduct your boating activities standing.
One major difference is that this motor is foot-controlled, and the Intex Trolling Motor is hand-controlled, which is easier and more compatible and is available for a lower price.
My Final words
The Intex Trolling Motor is a good buy for those users who enjoy going boating and fishing on an occasional basis and who do not want to spend an exorbitant amount of money on huge expensive boats and trolling motors and can make do with an inflatable boat and a smaller, less expensive trolling motor with it.