Newport Vessels L-Series Trolling Motor Review
Last Updated on October 9th, 2020
Who doesn’t like to go fishing or sightseeing on a lake every once in a while? A short quality time away from the hub-hub of life and for you to relax. Sounds good… until the trolling motor on your vessel starts acting up!
It is not that uncommon for old or faulty motors to ruin your day out. So picking a good trolling motor is, in fact, a very responsible task! And one you should pay utmost attention to.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Newport Vessels L-Series Trolling Motor
Newport Vessels L-Series Trolling Motor comes in two variations – 62 lb thrust and 86 lb thrust. While 62 lb can support a vessel of up to 12 ft, with 86 lb, the maximum vessel size can easily be over 16 ft.
They don’t differ much in terms of weight, with only a difference of 2 lb, but while 62 lb has a circuit breaker of 60 AMP, the 86 lb motor comes with a circuit breaker of 50 AMP. So you can go for either of the styles, based on which one is more preferable for you.
Now let’s take a look at the pros and cons of the L-Series trolling motor:
- The product is both freshwater and saltwater compatible.
- The 60/50 AMP circuit breaker it comes with protects it from electrical damage.
- It is on the affordable side.
- Batteries are not included in the package.
- The motorhead and handle are not waterproof, so heavy rain and any splashing have to be avoided.
- It is not very durable.
Features and Benefits
Now that you have a slight idea of what this particular trolling motor has to offer, let’s dive in a bit more to take a look at its features and benefits:
- It has a 40 inches shaft, 6 inches telescoping handle, and height adjustment feature.
- There is a directional lock given so you can easily maneuver through the waters.
- This trolling motor works with three large blade propellers but doesn’t make a lot of noise during functioning and is relatively quiet.
- The shaft and propeller both are made of Fiberglass, which means it’s relatively lightweight with high resistance to moisture and thermal fluctuations. It is also more eco-friendly.
- The brackets are adjustable and have a tilt feature.
- It uses two 12 volt Deep Cycle batteries, and though they are not included in the package, they can easily be found.
- The battery cable with the motor is 4 ft long.
- There is a 10 point LED battery meter to help us monitor how much time we have left until the battery needs to be charged again.
- It has a total of 8 speeds – 5 forward and 3 reverse.
Why Go For This?
There are a number of things going for the L-Series Trolling Motor. If you are a little interested in this one, these points might help you in reaching a decision:
- It comes with a two-year warranty.
- The motor is good and works noiselessly.
- It is a highly adjustable product which you can set according to your preferences or needs. From the adjustable shaft length to the 8 different speeds, choose whatever setting suits you the most at any point in time.
- It doesn’t put much pressure on the wallet and is a bit more affordable than a lot of other options in the same category.
- Aside from the Fiberglass used in its construction, it also has a corrosion-resistant powder coating, so traversing in either fresh or saltwater is just as easy.
Like any other product and services available in the market, Newport Vessels L-Series Trolling Motor isn’t without its own shortcomings. There are some aspects of it that maybe not so likable, but then again, a lot depends on our individual perspectives. Let’s take a quick look:
- Though there are 8 different speeds offered, even the lowest setting can be quite fast.
- For a lightweight final model, a lot of plastic components are used in its construction, which though achieving its goal, also compromises with the overall durability of the motor to some extent.
- The battery runs out a bit fast and is relatively not as good as some of the other options available.
- The fact that the motorhead and handle are not waterproof can be a problem. Though it can stand light rain, heavy rain or accidental splashing might damage it. But when you are around water, moving at a fast speed, it may prove to be a bit difficult to manage the water that may splash on it.
So this is about all there is to consider about L-series trolling motors. Now let’s take a look at some of the alternatives and how they compare to this.
Things to Consider Before Buying a New Motor
There are a lot of things to consider before going for a purchase, not only because it can impact your time and wallet but your safety too.
- Why do you need it?
- What kind of boat are you using?
- Is it a canoe, kayak, or a simple inflatable one?
The new motor has to be compatible with it, after all.
- If you need to stay in water for a while, say half a day or more, it might be better to go for a trolling motor with good battery and durability.
- If speed is your friend, you can choose one with more explosive power instead.
There are dozens of options for you to consider, and they all are good for one thing or another. But the most important thing is your safety, so going for a product that has a good warranty or some features that ensure your safety is always a better choice.
Of course, we can never be definitive about anything in life, but that doesn’t mean we can’t be prepared!
1. Newport Vessels 55lb X SeriesTrolling Motor
55lb thrust X Series trolling motor comes with a 36 inches adjustable shaft and a handle with 6 inches extension and 30 degrees tilt. It is both freshwater and saltwater compatible and just weighs 23 lbs, making it easy to handle. It also comes with a camo design and doesn’t make a lot of noise while functioning.
2. Minn Kota Endura Transom Mount Trolling Motor
6 available styles and 3 different shaft sizes, Minn Kota Endura Transom Mount Trolling Motor is perfect for fishing lovers. It has a quiet, powerful motor with 5 forward and 3 reverse speeds. It is pretty durable and steady while in use and comes with a lever lock bracket.
Newport Vessels L-Series Trolling Motor has a number of benefits but isn’t without its own share of shortcomings, just like any other equipment or machinery. However, it has quite a list of features and for a considerable economical price.
When all is said and done, if you are someone looking for an affordable motor with all the necessary features to go with your boat, this might just be a perfect option for you to go for!