Have you ever wished you could coat a metal object with rich, vibrant paint and get full coverage without drips or sags? And then have a finish as durable as the paint on your car?
Ever wished you could achieve that in under 30 minutes?
You got to try powder coating! It’s a simple process that leaves a beautiful, uniform, and exceptionally durable finish.
But for it to be effective, you need the best powder coating gun.
My Top Pick
Table of Contents
Chicago Powder Coating
The Best Powder Coating Gun
This gun shoots any type of powder, including metallic, texture, and chrome, making it a versatile tool for the hobbyist or the small shop owner.
Among all the powder coating guns below, this is the best one overall.
Unfortunately, there are lots of crappy models in the market. How do you avoid them and get something that will work beautifully?
By checking the features of different products, listening to what folks say, and possibly testing them.
But that’s a long and exhausting process!
Fortunately, we have done it all for you. In this post, we present to you the top powder coating gun reviews.
Read on to see if there’s a model that fits your needs.
|Product Image||Name||Our Rating||Price(Amazon)|
|Chicago Tools Powder Coating System (10 to 30 PSI)||5 out of 5|
|Red Line EZ50||5 out of 5|
|Mophorn WX-958 Powder Coating System||4.5 out of 5|
|Hyper Smooth 02 LED||4.5 out of 5|
|RedLine Model EZ50 Kit||4.5 out of 5|
|Kool Koat 3.0 DPW||4.5 out of 5|
What are the benefits of using powder coating gun?
Powder coating involves the use of a powder consisting of fine pigment particles and resin. These are charged with an electric current then electrostatically sprayed onto a grounded surface.
This process results in a uniform, attractive finish that lasts longer than an ordinary paint job.
Compared to other finishes, the powder coated surface is better at holding up to fading, chipping, and wear in general.
Another benefit is that of limitless colors and finishes, including candies, glitter, wrinkle, iridescent, matte, high-gloss, and a lot more.
The colors remain vibrant for longer than what a liquid paint job offers.
When it comes to protecting the environment, powder coating is preferred to ordinary painting.
Liquid paints usually have solvents containing VOCs, which pollute the environment.
Powder coatings, on the other hand, have no solvents, and they release insignificant amounts of VOCs into the atmosphere.
So, powder coating is:
- More attractive
- More durable
- A lot less harmful to the environment
It is now time to look at our powder coating system reviews. Remember, any prices you see here are the prices of products at the time of writing this post. They may be different now, and the only way to be sure is to follow the links.
Let’s dive in.
Our Top 7 Best Powder Coating Gun Reviews
1. Chicago Tools Powder Coating System (10 to 30 PSI)
- A perfect powder coating gun for vehicles at home or the shop
- Uses any standard powder coating paint
- Includes powder coating gun, foot switch, power source, inline filter and two powder cups
- Requires 10-30 PSI air pressure
If you’re looking to create a nice and smooth finish, you need a powder coating gun that is high-grade and able to handle your workload.
Furthermore, it should be robust and the maintenance it needs ought to be minimal.
Going by those terms, the Chicago Tools Powder Coating Gun is a performer. It’s a hopper-fed gun that comes with all the items you need to get started.
That includes a power supply, a foot switch, an inline filter, and 2 hoppers for holding the powder.
This gun shoots any type of powder, including metallic, texture, and chrome, making it a versatile tool for the hobbyist or the small shop owner.
Rather than using one hand to operate the gun and the other hand to work the switch, you’re able to use one of your feet to work the switch. This makes using the tool easy and convenient.
One of the nicest features of this model is its smooth and accurate air flow. With a simple turn of the valve at the base of the handle, you’re able to fine tune the air flow to suit your needs.
As mentioned, the package comes with an inline filter.
This is a small feature attached near the base that filters out the moisture and ensures the air getting through to the nozzle is totally dry. This helps ensure the work is clean and effective.
There are two major shortcomings of this. Firstly, it’s difficult to clean when switching the colors.
Secondly, the heat-shrink tubing over the wires on the handle isn’t that good. You might want to cover them with tape.
All things considered, this gun is a great pick. It’s a performer, and it seems robust too. Going for around 100 bucks, it’s a good buy.
- Foot pedal for activating the gun
- Inline moisture filter
- Air flow regulation valve
- Two hoppers
- Works with any standard powder
- Needs 10 to 30 psi
2. Red Line EZ50 Powder Coating Cup Gun
- 【3 Spray Patterns & 5 Nozzle Sizes】Paint sprayer can be adjusted to 3 different spray patterns: horizontal, vertical and circular, and equipped with 5 size nozzles (1.2mm/1.5mm/1.8mm/2.5mm/3.0mm)...
- 【Perfect Design For User Experience】Detachable, making it easier to use and clean; the paint output can be controled by adjusting the flow control knob on the sprayer to obtain different paint...
- 【High-Quality Materials】Using copper nozzles can withstand pressure more than plastic nozzles, and is less prone to clogging. It can also make the spraying surface more concentrated and more...
- 【Powerful Upgrade Advantages】The rear foam pad can prevent paint from flowing backwards, block the nozzle, and make the spray more uniform; it also has dust and moisture resistance functions,...
- 【Package Contents】1X Paint Sprayer, 1X 1000 ml Paint Container, 5X Size Nozzles, 1X Viscosity Cup , 1X Nozzle Cleaning Needle, 1X Cleaning Brush, 1X Spanner, 1X Lid Pot, 1X User Manual. If you...
If you’re a DIYer or a small shop owner who wants to put out high quality work without spending a fortune on a powder coating system, we believe you’ll find the Red Line EZ50 quite useful.
One of the coolest things about this gun is the ability to shoot any types of powders. The gun works well with most standard powder paints, be they metallic, chrome, or textured.
Something you will love a lot about this gun is its powder control, thanks to its built-in automatic powder control.
Therefore, unlike with cheaper models, you won’t have to deal with powder clumps or sudden surges.
Another awesome perk associated with the previous one is the amazing powder flow. You only have to twist a knob to adjust the flow to suit the application.
Whether you want a full-on category 5 storm cloud or a whisper thin stream of powder, you can achieve it with a simple tweak of the knob.
A really nice fact is that you never have to deal with the hand switches, foot pedals or box controllers. All these controls are built right into the gun. Pretty convenient.
Want to be able to reach long distances between the power and air supply and the tools you’re powder coating? You’ll love the extra long 10-foot cord and cable that come with this gun.
Versatility is yet another benefit you’re going to enjoy with this gun. It works on glass, plastic, wood, and metal, for both coating and recoating applications.
Cleaning the gun is super easy too, thereby making switching the color a simple process. All it takes is a quick blast of air.
The shortcoming with this gun is the airline in the handle. It’s sort of weak, so you might want to handle it carefully.
Other than that, the gun is really cool and well worth the money.
- Built-in automatic powder control
- Powder flow control knob
- Extra-long 10-foot cord and cable
- Electronics are built into the gun – no foot pedals or hand switches, etc.
- Digital guide for pre-treating metal for powder coating
- Free book for starting a powder coating business
3. Mophorn WX-958 Powder Coating System
- Turn your trash into treasure with the Sandblaster Gun Kit. This amazing tool supports unlimited media types making it a versatile tool for any home or shop.
- Save Time With The Sandblaster. Stop struggling with old, outdated tools. The Paint Stripper is here to help you take care of business quickly and easily. Whether you're removing rust, cleaning pool...
- LE LEMATEC Portable Sandblaster is constructed from the highest quality standards and materials by an American owned and operated business. Feel good for supporting your country.
- Outstanding Durability, Ceramic tips are known for their durability, making them a better option than steel tips that can easily break. Save yourself the hassle and frustration of constantly replacing...
- Strong Media Suction gives you more power and speed saving you valuable time when using our soda blaster. Complete with a fully adjustable control valve which allows for precise media regulation...
If you’re a budget-minded buyer looking for the perfect professional and best powder coating gun, you should check out the Mophorn WX-958 Powder Coating System.
Currently going for 398 dollars, this item is unbelievably low-priced considering the amazing industrial usability it offers.
First off, the powder hopper is made of stainless steel, making it pretty robust. It has a capacity of 45 liters, which is equivalent to around 12 gallons.
That’s lots of space for putting your powder paint. It lets you work on many or huge workpieces without having to refill too frequently. Very convenient for the professional.
The speed of application is a factor you have to consider especially if you’re a professional.
One benefit of this gun is that it allows you to spray up to 450 grams per minute, which is equivalent to around 16 ounces. If you asked us, that’s a lot, and it’ll help you move fast when you get to those flat panels.
When working on your (clients’) workpieces, you want to be able to achieve a fine coating with a stable quality, don’t you?
Tell you what? One thing you have to get right is the voltage. The good news is that this system comes with a voltage auto-adjusting function, so you don’t have to deal with that.
It also has circuit protection to ensure that spraying effect is perfect, hence giving you the stable, fine quality you’re looking for.
It doesn’t matter if you’re working on flat surfaces or recessed ones, this is the machine for the job.
With the wide kV and current control ranges, and the ability to control the output pressure, you’re able to handle the project at hand efficiently.
The only issue with this is the poor instructions on the manual. Fortunately, you can find tutorials online from other users.
- 12-gallon hopper made of stainless steel
- Voltage auto-adjusting function
- Circuit protection
- 16 ounces per minute powder output
- Needs 110 to 120 V AC power
- 0 to 100 kV output voltage
- 0 t0 150 microA output current
4. Hyper Smooth 02 LED Electrostatic Powder Coating System
- ▶【High Power & Superior Finish】-- Paint gun is equipped with a powerful turbofan and Max. 600W motor to support smooth and superior painting results. It will be your best assistant for...
- ▶【Lighter Usage & Wider Areas】-- Special separated structure allows holding spray unit (1lb) for painting, which greatly reduces the holding fatigue compared to hand-held one. And this...
- ▶【Easy To Use & Clean】-- The electric spray gun is designed with ON/OFF power switch to prevent accidental triggering and paint messing. And its disassemblable design makes cleaning the spraying...
- ▶【3 Spray Patterns & Adjustable Flow Control】-- The electric spray gun can choose within 3 spray patterns(horizontal, vertical, circular) and3 size nozzles(2.0/2.5/3.0mm) freely. And its...
- ▶【Friendly Customer Service】If you have any questions, please contact with us and our technical team and after-sales team are always behind you.
Looking for a powder coating gun that can efficiently do multiple coats? Consider the Hyper Smooth 02 LED.
When you open the package, you find everything you need to get started immediately. That includes a powder gun, a power supply, power and ground cables, and more.
The power supply is adjustable. It can go from 0 to 100 kV, meaning you can do both the flat panels and the recessed parts like the corners without a problem.
With the quick adjustment knob on the box, setting the right kV is a breeze.
This model features an adjustable air supply knob. This part lets you set the rate of air output based on your needs. Whether you want a slow stream of powder or a fast flow, it’s easy to achieve it with a simple turn of the knob.
On the power supply, there’s a pressure gauge. With this, you don’t have to guess the air pressure; you have the accurate figures. Hence you can effectively increase or decrease the air pressure.
The design of the gun is pretty cool.
It’s a lightweight item, so you don’t get exhausted using it.
The coolest part is that the nozzles and tips are removable. You get two different nozzles – one for flat spray and another for multicoat application. You also get two tips of different sizes, including a wide mouth one for the difficult surfaces.
All you need to do is connect the right nozzle and tip for the job at hand.
With the quick release on the powder hose, changing colors is easy and quick.
Well, here’s the main drawback – the current price of 812 dollars.
That’s too high compared to other models like the RedLine EZ50, or the Chicago Tools Powder Coating System, which offer similar features at less than half the cost.
- Adjustable power – 0 to 100 kV with LED
- Powder feed adjustment knob
- 2 hoppers of different sizes – 1 lb and 2 lb.
- Replaceable nozzles and tips of different styles/sizes
- Pressure gauge
5. Powder Coating Gun with Bonus Powder Cup Kit, Next Generation U.S. Power Supply and U.S. Airline Adapter
- Bonus Package Includes 3 Extra Powder Cups (Powder not Included)
- Special U.S.A. Air Line Adapter (Can't Use Gun Without One of These)
- New Dedicated U.S. Power Supply for 2020 (No plug adapter needed)
- Fully Adjustable from 0 to 50Kv
- 6 Month U.S. Based Repair or Replace Warranty
Are you in the US? Allow us to show you why this could be the perfect kit for you.
If you liked the EZ50 RedLine model we discussed above, you would love the full kit even more. The gun that comes with this kit is the same gun we talked about earlier.
The only difference is that this is a full kit, so you get other useful items besides the gun. If you’re looking to get started immediately you open the package, then you will find the extra items very helpful.
So, let’s go ahead and see the features, the benefits, and any shortcomings.
As we’ve stated, the gun is the same EZ50 model we talked about earlier. If you observed the features and benefits well, then you know this is the perfect powder coating gun.
First, there are no box controls, as everything is built right into the gun. You no longer have to deal with foot pedals or hand switches. You control everything from the gun, and this is immensely convenient.
There’s automatic powder control that is built into the gun. That ensures there are never sudden surges or those annoying powder clumps.
On the gun, there’s a knob for controlling the powder output. By adjusting the knob, you get to set the powder flow to the rate that you want.
Most models provide you with power cords. But, in most cases, the cord is only up to 5 feet long. Well, guess what? With the EZ50 from RedLine, you get power cables that are 10 feet long.
That’s freedom right there allowing you to reach much farther than you would using other brands.
Now, this package includes 3 extra powder cups as well as extra tips and nozzles.
And most importantly, you get the power and airline adapters compatible with USA power and air systems. This is a huge benefit if you’re in the US.
- Built-in automatic powder control
- Powder flow adjustment knob
- Adjustable power from 0 to 50 kV
- 3 extra powder cups
- Special USA power and airline adapters
- 1-year replacement warranty
- Easy to clean
6. Kool Koat 3.0 DPW Electrostatic Powder Coating System
- SIGNATURE REQUIRED FOR DELIVERY
- Adjustable KV's (0-100) with Digital Pulse Wave technology
- Switchable Display from KV to AMPS
- Integrated gauge powder feed adjustment
- Secondary Air Feed adjustments for optional accessories like industrial hoppers, etc
Want to avoid the faraday cage effect?
For those of you who are still new to powder coating, the faraday cage effect is what happens when coating the inside of a box-like item and the powder sticks to the side but not the corners.
The Kool Koat 3.0 DPW has a little red button on the front for engaging the DPW mode. What the heck is that?
Well, DPW represents digital pulsation wave. When the button is engaged, the system is able to combat the faraday cage quite beautifully.
It helps get the powders to crevices and corners.
Holding the gun feels comfortable. The handle is just the right size for the standard human hand, and as the gun is lightweight, you don’t get fatigued using it.
One of the nicest things about this gun is that it comes with removable tips. You can connect the suitable tip for the current application.
Three tip varieties come with this model. There’s the conical, fan, and wide mouth tip.
For those huge flat surfaces and the difficult ones, the wide mouth tip is incredibly helpful. It spurts out huge amounts of powder, enabling you to complete the task quickly.
But, you want to be careful while using it as it can be a bit wasteful.
The digital readout for the voltage and the amperage is also nice. However, you can only display one of them at a time; not both.
The other drawback is that there are only two air supplies.
If you’re using a fluidization chamber, you really need three.
Beyond those issues, this is a fine powder coating system. It produces a smooth and thick finish.
At the price range (1278 bucks at the time of writing this review), it’s on the high side, but for the professional, it will work. Definitely better than most of those budget models.
- DPW button for combating the faraday cage effect
- Lightweight gun that’s comfortable to use
- Three tip varieties for different applications
- Digital readout for voltage and amperage
- Two hoppers of different sizes
7. MXBAOHENG PC03-5 Portable Coating System
- 1, It is the upgraded version with circuit board and the ignition coil are independent.
- 2, It is a breakthrough refinishing system for the home hobbyist providing professional performance at a fraction of the cost of professional equipment.
- 3,It produces a finish that is resistant to most chemicals, fuels, acids, thinners, brake fluid, UV light, and is much more durable than liquid coatings(up to ten times more durable than ordinary...
- 4,It produces no toxic wastes and uses no solvents. Environmentally friendly
- 5, It blows it off with compressed air and recoat with the Powder, Cured powder coating can be recoated with powder and baked or touched up with paint.
Are you a hobbyist who wants a powder coating system with professional performance but don’t have enough funds to get a professional model?
You got to check out the MXBAOHENG Powder Coating System.
Unboxing the package, you will find a powder coating gun, a power supply, a foot switch, a 15AWG power cord, a hopper, an inline filter, and a couple more items.
With so much stuff, you get to start powder coating immediately.
This system needs 110 volts to work, meaning you can hook it to your home wall outlet and operate it without having to get additional electrical components.
There’s also a 220-volt model in case that’s what you prefer.
A vast majority of models out there come with a hand switch that you have to use to activate the gun. This model, on the other hand, has a foot switch.
Rather than using one hand to hold the gun and the other hand to operate the switch, you use your feet to operate the switch. That leaves you with both hands to work the gun, and it feels very convenient.
When shopping for a powder coating system, you want to know the feel of the gun. Why? Because comfort is important.
One cool thing about this system is that the gun is lightweight. You certainly won’t feel exhausted using it. Secondly, it has a nice, non-slip surface that makes operation a cinch.
The only issue we have with this model is the long shipping time. You might have to wait more than 2 weeks to get your package, and that isn’t nice for most people.
On the brighter side, this system will do the job if used for small scale applications.
- Inline filter for keeping the getting rid of the moisture
- Foot switch
- Lightweight gun with a non-slip surface
- 110- and 220-volt options
Top Quality Powder Coating Gun Reviews and (In-depth Buying Guide)
When it comes to powder coating, the spray gun happens to be the vital element.
If the gun is faulty, you’re not going to have a beautiful, smooth, and even finish. But with a good one, you’ll enjoy all these benefits.
To choose a powder coating gun that works well, consider the following factors.
kV output – Best Powder Coating Gun
The kV represents the output voltage of the gun. In other words, it determines the amount of voltage that charges the particles of the powder coming out through the nozzle.
The gun should have an adjustment feature that helps you set the kV to the convenient level. At higher levels, the particles become greatly charged, and they easily adhere to the grounded surface.
And at lower levels, the particles are not very charged, and that allows them to travel further to reach those recessed areas.
So, it’s important to be able to set both high and low kV levels.
If you’re a mid range powder coating gun for home use, one with kV levels between 0 and 50 kV will do just fine.
But if you need a professional powder coating gun, then you got to get one whose kV you can increase to at least 100 kV.
The spray efficiency will determine the rate at which you can complete the task.
If this factor is important to you, then you need a gun that has a knob for increasing and decreasing the airflow. By tweaking the airflow, you’ll be able to shoot the powder at the rate you prefer.
Some guns also come with built-in powder flow control features, and these are quite helpful.
Nozzles and tips
The size and shape of the nozzle and tip will affect not only the spray rate but also the manner in which the powder comes out.
For instance, a smaller, thinner nozzle will release thin streams while a bigger nozzle will release clouds and lots of it at a time.
Though a premium feature, it helps to have a gun with replaceable tips and nozzles so you can use the ideal ones for each project.
Ease of cleaning
When changing between powder colors, you normally have to clean the gun. The same case applies after the project is complete and you want to store the equipment.
Look for a gun that you can clean easily by blowing over it air from your compressor.
Portability – Best Powder Coating Gun
If you’re looking to travel with your powder coating system from time to time, then you need a portable model. That means something lightweight and of compact size.
The RedLine EZ50 doesn’t come with a power supply box; all the electronics are built into the gun.
This makes it extremely convenient to transport. Moreover, it comes with a 10-foot power cable (almost twice as long as other models), meaning you get to reach farther when working.
When thinking about the portability, you want to also consider the size of the hopper. The 1 to 3-pound hoppers are much better in this regard than the large-size tanks with capacities ranging over 10 gallons.
Powder Coating Machine Types
Powder coating machines two basic types. Each types has upsides and downsides of each: Corona & Tribo.
The way of transporting the powder from the gun to the part is the main difference.Corna Style Spray Guns. This is the mostly used type.
Reduced wear rate and low air consumption are two great advantage of corona style gun.
Compatibility with the widest variety of powder is also a great advantage of this type.Tribo Style Coating GunsTribo coating gun is less used compared to corona type.
This type has the ability to coat in recessed corners and similar challenges. But tribo gun is slower than corona style gun.
Best Powder Coating System Brands on The Market
Maybe you want the best powder coating system, but you don’t have the time to scrutinize the individual features of products.
In that case, we’d advise you to buy from the top brands in the market.
Here are some of the most trusted powder coating system brands today. Buying from these, your odds of getting something high quality that will perform and last are high.
Harbor Freight began in 1977 as a family business. The idea behind the founding of this company was to provide the ordinary citizen with high-quality products at prices they could afford.
And for more than 40 years now, that’s exactly what the brand has done.
This brand stocks more than 7000 tools and parts, sourced from the leading manufacturers. That includes an array of high-grade powder coating systems.
The coolest part is that their products are much less expensive than the same products offered by other sellers, sometimes up to 80 percent less.
Based in Plymouth, Minnesota, is one of the leading cutting tool manufacturers and distributors in the US.
But it’s not just cutting tools that they offer. They have an amazing selection of more than 25000 tools and accessories, among them, some of the finest powder coating systems.
When it comes to quality and usability, their EZ250 powder coating gun is the finest.
Columbia Coatings has a 26000 sq ft facility in Tennessee, from where they make some of the top hand tools in the US.
This company specializes in coating supplies including liquid coatings, masking, and powders. Apart from that, they sell equipment such as hoppers, ovens, booths, and of course, some really nice powder gun guns.
When it comes to cost effectiveness, Mophorn is one of the go-to brands for consumers. It offers high-quality products at budget prices.
Mophorn’s wide range of products includes heat presses, juice extractors, jacks, engraving machines, and powder coating guns and accessories.
Best Powder Coating Gun FAQ
Q. What is the difference between a powder coating and a regular liquid paint?
The difference is that paint uses solvent while powder coating doesn’t require it. A powder coating normally needs heat setting while a regular liquid painting doesn’t.
Q. Is powder coating harmful to health?
One of the reasons as to why powder coating is preferred over regular wet painting is that it is totally safe.
As it doesn’t contain solvents, it’s non-volatile, and it releases no harmful chemicals into the atmosphere, before or after application.
Unlike some wet paint, a powder coating is not flammable, and hence it doesn’t pose a fire hazard.
Q. Gun not showing KV reading, what’s the issue?
power loss of the whole unit, circuit board failure or cascade failure can cause this problem.
These are not any major problems and can be solved by electrical technician.
Q. Corona or Tribo – Which is ideal?
Tribo guns have a lower charging rate for any powder.
On the contrary, Corona guns are more versatile and can be used to charge any chemistry of particles.
Q. Can I powder coat over a painted surface?
The paint will prevent the powder coating from adhering to the surface. Hence, you want to scrape it all first before application.
Q. How do you prepare a surface for powder coating?
Firstly, remove any paint or rust that may be on the surface you’re powder coating. You can use sandblasting or chemical removers.
Next, clean the surface and if you use a liquid, let it dry. Then, apply the spray.
Q. Can I touch up a powder coated surface?
If you can see flaking or other signs of deterioration on a small part of the surface, a touch up with a powder coating isn’t always the best idea.
Why? A visible line might be left at the edges of the new coat.
If you can’t sandblast the item and apply fresh powder coating, then try touch up with liquid paint.
Q. What are some of the benefits of powder coating over painting?
First of all, a powder coating will last much longer than a liquid painting. Secondly, powder coating, unlike liquid painting doesn’t pollute the environment with VOCs.
Q. Can I use a heat gun to cure a powder coat?
Yes, but you’ll land into problems.
You see, a heat gun won’t provide the stable, uniform temperature that’s needed for proper curing.
An oven, on the other hand, provides the needed heating conditions, and it’s, therefore, the perfect option for curing.
Q. What can I powder coat?
You can powder coat any metallic item capable of holding an electrostatic charge, and that can withstand the high temperatures needed for curing.
Metals are the best material to powder coat.
Household appliances, vehicle, and bike parts, and guns are just some of the common items that people like to powder coat.
Top Powder Coating Gun My Final Words
We’ve reached the end of our post, and we hope that by now, you have made up your mind on what model to secure.
It doesn’t have to be from our reviews, but for the sake of avoiding trial and error, we’d highly encourage you to choose one of the models we reviewed.
The ones from Chicago Tools and RedLine are, from our experience, the best powder coating guns, and we believe that anyone will be happy owning them.
That being said, each of the other models has something to offer.
So, you might want to observe their features closely and see if they fit you.