Trolling motors have made it easier for us to maneuver our vessels according to our needs and convenience.
Especially electric trolling motors have added to the hassle-free experience when we go out to fish on a lake or just enjoy the serenity of a quiet lake on a rare day off.
No matter which trolling motor you go for, most of them are designed to be powerful and quiet, but sometimes handling them while multitasking like fishing or getting a drink from the cooler, can be quite difficult.
And if your grip is bad, that’s just an invitation to destabilize your vessel.
In such cases, what saves the day are foot pedals, which help us in controlling the motors easily even if our hands are full.
But doesn’t having different trolling motors and foot pedals to connect to them sound too inconvenient?
I mean, why go for two different products when you can have all the features in one?
If you are someone who doesn’t like to have your vessel crowded or even the idea of handling more than two equipment for simple outing tires you out, then I have just the thing for you!
Table of Contents
Minn Kota Edge Bowmount Foot Control Trolling Motor
- Latch & Door Bracket: This bracket gives you a rock-solid hold while stowing your trolling motor and makes for easy removal at the end of the day.
- Heel-Toe / Cable-Steer Foot Pedal: Get heel/toe control of your motor with this ultra-responsive foot pedal that includes speed control, and momentary and constant on/off. Made with a high-impact…
- 5-Speed Settings: Choose from five speed settings to dial in the right speed control when you’re trolling.
- Directional Indicator: Easy-to-read directional indicator is built into the top of the trolling motor head on Edge foot control models.
- Power Prop: For 3-1/4″ motor diameters, this prop delivers extra power to push through heavy vegetation. Includes prop pin, nut and washer.
The Minn Kota Edge Bowmount Foot Control Trolling Motor is one of the best foot controlled trolling motors in the market.
It has all the elements of a normal trolling motor but has the facility to be controlled by the user’s foot.
There are other variations that accommodate a handle, too, for better compatibility and also higher thrust models.
This test is for the Edge 45 model, so make sure to properly check the specifications and model number of the product you are thinking of investing in.
Like any other motor, this foot-controlled trolling motor also has several pros and cons. Let’s take a look at them to give you a clear picture of what you can expect.
- It is extremely sturdy and durable with a fiberglass shaft.
- It is extremely compatible and easy to attach and use.
- The propeller is made of stainless steel and can cut through seaweed.
- It comes with a manufacturer’s warranty.
- The shaft and the motor head are not waterproof.
- It is not compatible for use in salt water.
Features and Benefits
The Minn Kota Edge Bowmount Foot Control Trolling Motor is a great product, and to get a better understanding of it, there are certain features about that product to be kept in mind to make an informed purchase.
The key features are:
1. Sturdy and Durable Built
This trolling motor has an extremely sturdy and strong shaft to it and is extremely durable.
The shaft will give a perfect depth perception of the motor in the water and does not look like it will rust or break anytime soon.
2. Good Battery and Powerful Motor
It has an extremely powerful motor, which, coupled with a 24V battery, can get it going all day long. You can just sit back and relax and let the motor do all the work.
The motor is powerful enough that it can also work with a 12V battery.
Definitely one of the strongest trolling motors out there in the market. The speed of the boat gets pretty decent and does not slow down even when the waterbody is quite turbulent.
It is controlled by foot, which, if one knows how to use, is extremely simple to use and is quite comfortable to control.
The boat is controlled using a foot pedal, which can be used to steer the boat and control it. This gives the user the freedom to use their hands and concentrate solely on their fishing and recreational activities.
One more great part about it is that, since it is a foot pedal, it does not come in close proximity to water, as compared to a hand steering rod, and thus it is more durable.
It can be an issue for people who like to steer by using their hands, but the other variation of this model provides both hand and foot control for the maximum comfort of the users. Further, the foot control is smooth, and shifting of speeds is pretty easy.
4. Stainless Steel Propellers
One of the major issues faced by motors, forget electric motors, is when weed gets stuck in their propellers, and it jams the motors, thus ruining your day by increasing your work.
This one issue is not faced by the propeller in the Minn Kota Edge Bowmount Foot Control Trolling Motor.
The propeller is extremely strong and cuts through weed, thus avoiding the issue of weed and other sea plants getting stuck in it.
5. Easy Usage
One of the biggest cons of this motor is that it cannot be used in saltwater. With boating and fishing activities taking place many times in salt water, this becomes a massive inconvenience for avid fishers and boating enthusiasts.
Even though it’s not recommended to work in salt water, one can use it and properly wash it off with a hose and cover it in plastic to prevent any damage and rusting from the salt water.
This is a lot of additional work for it, but for a person who does not get into salt water that much, it is perfect for their use and should not be an issue.
6. Good Compatibility
Further, the Minn Kota Edge Bowmount Foot Control Trolling Motor is a very compatible trolling motor and is easy to attach, detach, and mount onto the boat and can be fixed on by an amateur too, as it has a latch and a door mount functionality.
7. Compatibility with Other Minn Kota Products
The product can also be coupled along with several other Minn Kota parts, such as a GPS system and a hand steering as per the specifications of the user, to give the user the freedom to modify the product according to their using style.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Trolling Motor
There are certain things you need to consider before purchasing a trolling motor.
- The most important thing to consider is whether you are comfortable using a foot-controlled trolling motor or not. If you aren’t, there is no use purchasing one.
- The next thing to consider is whether it is compatible with your boat or kayak and can actually support its weight.
- Whether it can be used in fresh as well as salt water
- What price does the foot-controlled trolling motor come for. Because ideally, it should be cheaper than a hand-controlled trolling motor.
Minn Kota Edge Bowmount Foot Control Trolling Motor itself has several variations to it, such as the one with 45lb shaft, with 70lb shaft, one with hand and foot steering, one with remote steering, and several other options, with a good price range starting from low to high.
But there are several other alternatives available in the market for different varieties of trolling motors too. Here are a couple of them for your consideration:
1. Newport Vessel X-Series Trolling Motor
The Newport Vessel X-Series Trolling Motor does not provide foot control as well as has a weaker motor than the Minn Kota trolling motor, but it is quite an economical choice and comes with all the basic features of a good trolling motor, including an adjustable shaft and is made of fiberglass, making it lightweight and easy to use.
2. AQUOS Haswing Cayman Bowmount Electric Trolling Motor
Even though AQUOS Haswing Cayman Bowmount Electric Trolling Motor comes with the remote control facility, it is extremely costly and has more or less the same quality and features as all the other trolling motors in the market.
But it comes with an ergonomic lifting handle, making it comfortable to use and has an auto stow/deploy pedal.
Minn Kota Edge Motor Bottom Line
The Minn Kota Edge Bowmount Foot Control Trolling Motor has an extremely sturdy design, and at a moderate price range, it provides a good value for money.
Having both the quality and design along with a powerful motor, this is perfect for a day out boating and fishing.
It is electric, extremely powerful, foot-controlled, and quite sturdy, to say the least, and might just be a perfect option to go for if you love the outdoors as much as comfort and safety.