So, you might be wondering how do you store a Hobie kayak outside? Maybe, you just bought a Hobie kayak, but don’t know how to store it. You are not the only person thinking along this line.
When you don’t have enough room to store your precious kayak indoors, you have to consider the outdoor. However, you may have to worry about the safety of the body of your kayak.
I am here to give you the best solution to store your Hobie kayak outside. For many people, the outdoor could be their best choice until winter or harsh weather comes. Since you don’t want to store your Hobie kayak in the rain or wet environment; you may have to check the best places to store it.
So, where should you keep your kayak? Let’s dive in and learn more!
- Under a deck
- Under a roof or eaves
- On a covered porch
- With a kayak cover
- Under a tarp and off the floor
Table of Contents
How do you Store a Hobie Kayak Outside?
You should learn to protect your Hobie kayak from the harsh weather conditions outside. There are things you can consider if you have to drop your kayak outdoor. I will take you through some of them.
- You can store your Hobie kayak off the floor with the support of an outdoor storage rack.
- You should lock the kayak against theft if you are leaving it out of sight and outside.
- Do not forget to protect the kayak from direct sunlight. When your kayak gets exposed to UV light, it might suffer from exterior or interior damage. As a result, ensure that you apply a sun-protective spray on it.
- You have to take out the seats or fabric storage compartments and store them separately.
- Additionally, you don’t have to wrap the kayak too tightly in the tarp. Also, moisture can make it musty if it gets underneath.
- The next thing to do is to protect your cockpit from rodents and pests. Look for something that can seal your cocktail.
- When you follow these simple methods, you can safeguard your kayak from damage.
Some other ways you can store your Hobie kayak, especially during winter include:
- You should ensure that every crack is filled up. Your kayak could suffer damage if water freezes inside any of the cracks.
- Consider elevating your kayak to prevent any small animals from getting inside.
- Make sure you store the kayak in the correct position. For instance, a plastic kayak should be kept on its side. If you have a composite kayak, store it upside down or by its side.
- Remove all the neoprene covers and hatch.
- Remove the float tank plug.
- Finally, the kayak must be maintained and cleaned before storing it away.
How do you store a Hobie kayak outside?
Okay, now you know the best way to store your kayak. I will go a little forward to help you store a Hobie kayak.
Clean Your Kayak First
You need to clean the kayak before you can store it to avoid the problem of damage. If you fail to clean before storing, rodents, dirt, or termites could make it their homes.
You should know that if some leftover stays long in your kayak, they can attract wild animals. As a result, everything should be cleaned after every use.
You can use a little elbow grease to clean your kayak if it has more dirt on it, especially the stubborn dirt.
People who want to store their kayaks for extended periods should use soapy water in cleaning their kayaks. The process will ensure that your kayak stays in great condition for a long time.
Use A Proper Storage Rack
While I have highlighted some of the methods of storing your kayak, I am not going to say much about them again.
The most important reason why you have to keep your kayak off the ground is to prevent mud animals from entering it or damaging it.
Positioning Your Kayak For Storage
Unfortunately, you can only store some kayaks on their sides. You may have to flip them around monthly to ensure that they don’t get damaged.
Spread The Weight Evenly
If you must store your kayak on a mount, you have to evenly distribute its weight. The reason for this is simple. Hulls could get deform if you don’t ensure that they have their weights evenly distributed.
You should store your kayak evenly on the sides and ensure that the kayak is padded on any pressure point.
Strap Your Kayak Down
The first thing you should do is make sure that the kayak is tied down when storing outside. For instance, the kayak would not be blown away during windy conditions.
Make Sure It’s Covered
Your kayak would be content with the weather when you store it outside. Therefore, you should cover the kayak if you are leaving it outside.
You could achieve this by using a kayak cover or a tarp to ensure that it is safe from harsh weather.
Things To Avoid When Storing Your Kayak Outside
Avoid Leaving Your Kayak on the Ground
Freezing, thawing, and mud/wet ground can damage your kayak if it stays on the ground.
Avoid Letting Wildlife In
You should not allow rodents and other pests to have access to your kayak. You should know where to keep your kayak if you want it to stay intact for months.
You may have to cover the cockpit to ensure that no animal can get inside.
Don’t Leave The Kayak Unlocked
Finally, you have to safeguard your kayak by locking it. Since a kayak does not come cheap, you should ensure that it is safely locked.
Can Hobie Kayaks be stored outside?
You should keep your kayak off the ground and use a cover to keep the sun off.
How do I store my Hobie passport?
Store it upside down so it can rest on two crossbars. Padded crossbars will reduce scratches and if must store it right side up, use cradles.
How do you store a Hobie Outback?
If you want to store your Hobie Outback on the ground, use some old tires foam padding whilst it’s upside down.