With the advent of more types and models of kayaks, recreational kayaks have gained popularity in the market.
Kayaks are used by a lot of people for leisure purposes and to relax in the water while enjoying the beautiful scenery and a serene environment as well.
In this article, we will do justice to the Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 vs 125. The two brilliant models have gained popularity as recreational kayaks.
Beginners recommend the Pungo 120 for use while the Pungo 125 is more suitable for experienced paddlers.
Table of Contents
Common similarities of the Pungo 120 and Pungo 125 include:
- They are very lightweight and affordable
- These kayaks are recreational and fishing types of kayak
- They are sturdy
Both kayaks offer great stability as a result of their high-volume hulls which are constructed from rigid polyethylene.
As they have similarities, their differences cannot be overlooked. This will help users know which kayak is a better option and which of them can meet their personal kayaking needs.
They require bracing against the waves in order to keep them stable and prevent them from tipping off.
Recreational kayaks provide more space to contain people and also take up much more space on the water.
Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 Kayak
When it comes to camping and fishing, the Pungo 120 kayak does an exceptionally good job.
It has a narrow cockpit which allows the kayak to be maneuvered easily in Marie waterways and small areas.
Moreso, the 6-paddle blades, make it very easy for users to paddle through choppy water.
- It is also compatible with multiple accessories
- The Pungo 120 has a quick inflation time
- It has double carrying handles which makes it very easy to transport
- This kayak is very compact when deflated
- Transporting this kayak is effortless when dismantled as it has a very lightweight design
- This kayak is made using durable reinforced polyethylene.
- The 120 Pungo kayak is very easy to assemble
- It comes with easy-to-follow instructions and can be dismantled very quickly when it is not in use.
- It is not recommended for use by big paddlers which weigh over 210 pounds
- This kayak is not suitable for use during windy conditions
- It does not track well in any direction
Wilderness Systems Pungo 125
The Pungo 125 is a sit-inside recreational kayak that is perfect for adults who have just ventured into kayaking and would genuinely like to enjoy the kayaking experience.
This kayak has a wider cockpit than the Pungo 120 and also comes with 8-paddle blades making it easier for users to paddle even in rough waters.
This kayak is very sturdy and made with a hardy, durable design which does not allow it to be destroyed when it gets knocked over.
This kayak can support a weight of up to 500 Ibs. It is undoubtedly ideal for many water activities such as paddling and fishing.
Fishermen will find this kayak extremely convenient and efficient because of its large storage space.
This can be used to store and carry as much fishing gear and equipment without making it difficult to handle or too heavy.
- This kayak is very lightweight enough for just about anyone to carry.
- Thanks to the hull design, this kayak is very stable, even in choppy or rougher water.
- The upgraded scupper design on the Pungo 125 ensures that it can track straighter in waves with fishing gear.
- It has a very large storage space to hold fishing gear and equipment.
- The Pungo 125 does not take up much space when stored.
- The thermoplastic elements in this kayak can begin to crack after a long use
- During strong wave conditions, this kayak has tracking limitations
Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 vs 125
- The Pungo 120 kayak can be used by paddlers of all skill levels, whereas the Pungo 125 is recommended for intermediate to advanced paddlers.
- During rougher water conditions, the Pungo 125 is more suitable than the Pungo 120 and it also has a built in rudder which allows for better tracking control.
- The built in rudder in the Pungo 125 makes it easier to paddle the kayak. However, it is wider and heavier than the Pungo 120 kayak.
- The Pungo 120 kayak is smaller, lighter, and more affordable
- The Pungo 125 kayak is a more durable boat and has a higher weight capacity.
Important Features to look out for while choosing a Kayak
When choosing a kayak, some of the most important features to look out for include:
- Ability to track in all types of water and weather conditions
- Gear space/Storage space
As solo and sit-inside kayaks, choosing between the Pungo 120 and the Pungo 125 is quite difficult because they have amazing features and benefits.
However, the Pungo 125 is more ideal in providing paddlers with a premium fishing experience.
Asides that, it is even more stable than the Pungo 120. The storage space of the Pungo 125 cannot be left out as well.
It has an increased deck size, additional space for all fishing gear and equipment and a maximum weight capacity in contrast to the Pungo 120.
Big paddlers who love fishing and camping as it has better ability to track on water and adverse weather conditions can use the Pungo 125.
The Pungo 120 and the Pungo 125 have similar types of cockpit and are sit-inside kayaks. In terms of stability, sit-inside kayaks are preferred and with this improved stability, users will have more time to fish.
Sit-inside kayaks are very convenient for fishermen whether beginners or professionals.
The Pungo 120 kayak is ideal for recreational purposes, fishing, camping, or exploring shallow waters while the Pungo 125 kayak is more ideal for higher speeds, surfing, and activities that are related to racing.
The Pungo 125 is recommended for paddlers who would like to go kayaking as a sport. It meets the needs of many users who are enthusiastic about kayaking thanks to its enhanced maneuverability and length.
As a great beginner kayak, the Pungo 120 may be the most opted for but over time, users may find it unsatisfactory.