From kitchenware to sinks and ornaments, there are probably numerous items in your house that are made of copper and other metals. Apart from serving various needs, they also add beauty, right?
Unfortunately, when it comes to metal items, there’s something that poses a threat to the functionality and beauty – tarnish, rust, and other stains.
Over time, the grime makes your metal pieces to lose their luster and value. What was previously a beauty becomes unsightly.
When your metal items get stained, you needn’t incur the extra cost of replacing them. You could just remove the stains with a good metal cleaner.
Table of Contents
Top copper cleaners my opinion
In this article, I’ll help you find the best copper cleaner that also works for other metal items. With the products below, you’ll be able to restore your metal pieces to an almost new condition.
In addition if you read till the end you will be able to tell what is the best copper cleaner?
Let’s get started.
Bar Keepers Friend Soft Cleanser – My Top Pick
Bar Keepers Friend Soft Cleanser
For sure, this product is the ideal low-price cleaner for someone who needs a multipurpose household stain remover.
|Copper Cleaner||Name||My Rating|
|Bar Keepers Friend Soft Cleanser||5 out of 5|
|Wright’s Copper and Brass Polish||5 out of 5|
|Flitz Brass and Copper Tarnish Remover||4.5 out of 5|
No products found.
|Brasso Metal Polish||4.5 out of 5|
|Twinkle Brass & Copper Cleaning Kit||4 out of 5|
Top copper polish based on my research
Regardless of what you prefer when it comes to home décor, you probably have a lot of metal items made of copper around your home.
From toilet paper holders and kitchen sinks to door knobs and door locks, the list of items made of copper is endless.
Unfortunately, over time, these items give in to environmental factors and rust, get stained, and become discolored.
And of course, that reduces the beauty of these items. And if not taken care of, it also reduces the items’ life.
That’s where copper cleaners come into play. The benefits, needless to say, are:
- Removing rust stains
- Getting rid of water spots and fingerprints
- Removing the discoloration
- Restoring the sheen
- Boosting the life of commodities
Most copper cleaners also work for cleaning other metals including brass, stainless steel, bronze, and more. Some also clean other materials like porcelain and ceramic.
Without further ado, we’ll now jump into our reviews.
My Favorite 13 Best Copper Cleaners
1. Bar Keepers Friend Soft Cleanser
- This soft cleanser delivers the same power as the Bar Keepers Friend Classic cleanser & polish, but in a premixed formulation for a quick, consistent clean.
- This creamy, ready-to-use formulation clings to vertical surfaces, making it an ideal glass shower door cleaner, but it works equally well against rust stains, tarnish, mineral deposits, soap scum,…
- Surfaces: stainless steel, brass, Bronze, copper alloys, aluminum, ceramic, porcelain, glass, Corian.
- Kitchen: sinks, cookware, stove cooktops and exteriors, oven door windows, countertops (non-stone), plates (buffs out knife marks).
- Bathroom: sinks, bathtubs and showers, faucets, toilets, tile and grout. Outdoors: rust stains, grills, vehicles (test first), siding, sporting equipment.
As some users can tell you, the Bar Keepers Friend Soft Cleanser is surely the homeowner’s magician. It helps return a heavily stained metal piece to its almost new condition. And, it works amazingly!
If you’ve ever used the Bar Keepers Friend Classic Cleanser & Polish, you’re going to enjoy the same cleaning power with the Bar Keepers Friend Soft Cleanser.
The only difference is that the latter comes premixed, to give you a faster and more consistent clean.
One thing you’re going to love about this formula is that is works not only for copper but also a whole range of other surfaces. That includes glass, aluminum, porcelain, brass, steel, bronze, and even ceramic.
For sure, this product is the ideal low-price cleaner for someone who needs a multipurpose household stain remover.
What’s more, it works for a wide variety of dirt issues. It effectively works on soap scum, mineral deposits, rust, tarnish, and all sorts of grime that might be stealing the beauty of your surfaces.
When it comes to removing stains in the bathroom or kitchen, this cleanser will be extremely helpful. You can use it on sinks, doors, oven windows, toilets, grout, bathtubs, and more.
And it’s not just for indoor cleaning. Many folks are using this product to get rid of stains on their siding. Others are also using it to remove stains from their vehicles and outdoor grills, with great results.
There’s only one issue with this product, which might not be so bad. The thing is, you need some elbow grease.
You don’t just pour the product on the surface and expect the stains to fade away magically. You got to scrub hard. But you can rest assured that after a few moments, the stains will be gone.
Go ahead and see what other users are saying about this amazing product while checking out the current price.
- Multipurpose – works on a multitude of surfaces including copper, brass, and more
- Comes premixed for a faster and more consistent clean
- Clings well to vertical surfaces
- Effective stain remover
Best brass cleaner
2. Wright’s Copper and Brass Polish
- Restore – Best for bringing your copper back to its original beauty by erasing the discoloration
- Protect – Leave behind a protective coating which prevents tarnish
- Safe – Mild formula allows safe use on jewelry with diamonds or gemstones
- Long-Lasting Shine – Formulated with the finest ingredients that keeps your copper and other metals beautiful for years to come
- Use On – Cups, jewelry, Moscow mule mugs, pots, pans, sinks, doorknobs and other copper pieces around your home
This one is a little costlier than the previous product, but when it comes to cleaning power, it offers more.
So, if you’ve tried other cleaning products without success, or you’re just concerned about the amount of grime, the Wright’s Copper and Brass Polish will be an ideal selection.
With superior cleaning power, this product reaches into the frameworks of rust stains, tarnish, and other grime, breaking it down and removing it efficiently.
Amazingly, unlike with other products, only a minimal amount of scratching is needed to get rid of the stains.
If you’re looking for a multi-purpose cleaner that will work for all your metal items around your home, this might not be the ideal choice.
However, if you’re looking for a cleaner for your copper or brass items, this product will serve you beautifully.
It will erase virtually all the discoloration and stains and restore your copper and brass items to their original loveliness.
Although the cleaner is powerful, one thing you’re going to love about it is that it’s safe.
As long as you don’t apply too much or let the cream sit there too long, you can safely use it on jewelry and other precious items.
Another concern you might have is the safety of your hands. You’ll be glad to know that the cleaner is not harsh on your skin, so there’s not much worry in case of accidental smears.
Looking for a long-lasting protective effect against tarnish? You got to try the product. When applied and removed, it leaves behind a protective layer that keeps tarnish at bay.
As mentioned before, the Wright’s Copper and Brass Polish doesn’t seem to work well for other metal items. We’re recommending it only for copper and brass.
- Powerful formula against grime
- Ideal for copper and brass
- Leaves behind a layer to protect items against tarnish
- Safe on items and hands
Commercial copper cleaner
3. Flitz Brass and Copper Tarnish Remover
- Powerful Organic Formula: Natural organic salts formula instantly removes heavy tarnish with no rubbing. Just spray and rinse. Quickly restore dull brass and copper to a brilliant shine.
- Instantly Removes: Heavy tarnish, rust, water stains, corrosion, calcium deposits, heavy oxidation, and much more. Please Note: This product is a tarnish/oxidation remover only. It is not a polish.
- Use On: Brass, copper, glass, aluminum, painted surfaces, fiberglass, stucco, brick, porcelain, and much more. Not for use on chrome or patina finishes.
- Maximum Safety: Safer than traditional acid-based cleaners with a non-flammable proprietary formula, this product is safe for indoor and outdoor use.
- American Made: Developed with German ingredients and proudly made at our headquarters in Wisconsin; Flitz is a third generation family owned company. Flitz It – For A Shine That Lasts!
If you need top class copper cleaner to remove tarnish and not a polish, then you got to try the Flitz Brass and Copper Tarnish Remover.
When it comes to removing tarnish from brass and copper items, this is one of the most effective solutions.
If you hate the trouble of scrubbing to remove tarnish, this is the product for you. As soon as you spray it on the surface, the grime starts dripping off.
All that is needed then is a little rubbing or brushing and your surface gets restored to an almost new condition. Your elbow grease will definitely be saved.
One cool thing about this product is the ease of use. Unlike other products that have to be scooped and applied with the fingers or another tool, this one only needs you to do a little brushing.
Versatility is another awesome benefit that the product offers. In that regard, it works for water spots, corrosion and rust, heavy tarnish, and even mineral deposits on a range of surfaces.
Some of the surfaces you can safely use it on include copper, brass, fiberglass, glass, porcelain, brick, and stucco. As you can see, it’s a real multipurpose solution for your stain cleaning needs.
There are, however, a few things you need to keep in mind before using this tarnish remover.
First, it will only remove stains; it won’t make your surfaces shine again as it’s not a polish.
Secondly, the product can irritate your eyes and nose. It has a strong smell and will make your eyes water. So, you want to use it in a well-ventilated place.
We cannot ignore these issues, but for the high effectiveness of this product, you might want to give it a shot.
- Highly potent – removes stains with minimal scrubbing
- Versatile – works on a range of stains and surfaces
- Easy to use – spray bottle
Popular copper cleaning products
4. Brasso Metal Polish
No products found.
Are your utensils looking a little dull or stained? The Brasso Metal Polish is just what you need to restore their luster.
This is a tarnish removing product that cuts through the grime. It also contains a polishing compound that gives your metals a lasting sheen.
And it’s not just meant for cookware. It’s a versatile product that works with most metals including brass, steel, aluminum, chrome, bronze, and more.
Apart from cookware, you can use it on car rims, curtain nods, faucets, furniture and fixtures made of metal, and even door knobs made of metal.
If there’s something you’re going to love about this metal cleaner, it is the ease of use. All you have to do is shake the bottle properly and then pour the liquid on a piece of cloth.
After that, use the wet piece of cloth to buff the surface and lastly, polish with a clean cloth. Yep, it’s that easy.
Something else you’re going to love about the product is that it is safe. Albeit it is advisable to use gloves, there’s not much of a risk if the liquid comes into contact with your hands.
Then again, the product is safe on jewelry and other precious items.
The Brasso Metal Polish works on most metal surfaces. Nevertheless, there’s something you got to keep in mind before using it. This product is not meant to be used on silver or painted surfaces.
Other than that, it works great on the recommended surfaces, especially on brass. It’s also fairly priced for the quality and quantity offered.
Go ahead and see more features of this product on Amazon.
- Effective cleaner
- Leaves a lasting sheen
- Versatile – can be used on a range of metals
- Easy to use
Copper cleaner sprays
5. Twinkle Brass & Copper Cleaning Kit
- Easily and quickly dissolves tarnish and cooked on stains
- No scrubbing, no mess, no waste
- Anti-tarnish ingredient keeps copper brighter longer
- Comes with a reusable applicator sponge
- 2 ~ 4.38 oz Boxes
If there’s one thing that can greatly dwindle the aesthetic value of your cookware, it is burnt-on stains. The same case applies to your stove tops.
But burnt-on stains don’t always mean having to replace your items – that’s often an unnecessary cost.
If you’re looking to restore your cooktop’s and cookwares’ beauty, the Twinkle Brass & Copper Cleaning Kit will be of great help.
This amazing product dissolves burnt-on stains and tarnish easily, leaving an almost new surface. The beautiful thing is, it’s so effective that there’s only a minimal amount of scrubbing needed. Hence, you get to avoid all that mess and waste of time that comes with hard scrubbing.
The product also comes with a polishing compound, so if your metal surfaces are looking a little dull, you can expect them to regain their luster.
Being multipurpose, this cleaner can be used on a variety of surfaces. You can use it on your bar reels, candle sticks, brass fireplaces, copper pots, steel stovetops, and more.
One of the hardships that comes with most metal cleaning products is that they’re not easy or convenient to use. But, things are a little different with this product.
All you have to do is soak a piece of cloth or sponge in the liquid, and use that to wipe down the surface.
Once you’ve done that and rinsed with hot water, and then wiped the surface dry with a towel, you have yourself a much cleaner surface.
- Dissolves tarnish
- Removes cook-on stains
- Minimal scrubbing
- Has a polishing compound
6. Weiman Brass and Copper Polish and Cleaner
- Long-Lasting Shine – The finest ingredients keep brass & other metals beautiful for years to come.
- Restore – Rejuvenates dull & tarnished brass by removing tarnish, & polishing to a brilliant shine.
- Safe – A non-scratch formula allows safe use on jewelry & fine brass objects.
- Protect – Anti-tarnish formula leaves behind a protective coating that delays tarnish from reforming
- Recommended – Safely cleans & shines brass, copper, chrome, bronze & pewter without tedious buffing.
Are your jewelry and fine brass objects affected by tarnish and stains? Are you looking for the best copper cleaner that will safely remove the stains without scratching? You got to try the Weiman Brass and Copper Polish and Cleaner.
This is an ammonia-free formulation that safely removes tarnish and grime from metal objects. It only gets rid of the stains without scratching the surface.
The product not only removes the grime but also acts as a polish. So, if you’re looking to rejuvenate the shine on your objects, the cleaner will be a good selection.
Once the polishing component in the product has taken effect, you will likely see a clean and mirror-like finish on your objects.
What we loved most about the Weiman Brass and Copper Polish and Cleaner is that apart from cleaning and polishing, it leaves behind a layer that keeps metal objects protected against tarnish.
Thus, for a long-lasting effect, this product will be a good pick.
Most people find this product ideal for cleaning brass. But, that’s not all it’s meant for. The product works well for revitalizing other metals, including copper, stainless steel, bronze, and chrome.
This product is pretty versatile. It is suitable for home and even professional buffing and cleaning needs. You can use it to clean a wide range of items from rails and doorknockers to jewelry and door knobs.
Another aspect you’re going to like about the cleaner is that it is fast-acting. Once you apply it, the liquid takes only a few moments to dissolve the grime, and removing the loosened particles is a piece of cake.
- Cleans fast
- Doesn’t contain ammonia – no scratching
- Polishes the surface
- Provides a long-lasting sheen
7. EZ Brite Penny Brite Copper and Brass Cleaner
- Prepare copper surfaces for etching and enameling fast
- Bring copper jewelry to its original brilliance
- Biodegradable and safe for the environment
- Sold in a 7 oz resealable jar
The problem with most metal cleaning products is that they’re toxic’ they harm the environment over time. If you want to avoid such products, we’d recommend using the EZ Brite Penny Brite Copper and Brass Cleaner.
This is one of the most preferred metal cleaners as it is less toxic and more eco-friendly.
Now, if you’re in the business of making enamel beads, you probably already know how important it is for your surfaces to be clean.
For the beads to adhere well to the metal, the metal has got to be clean and free of oils.
Hence, a cleaning product is a must-have. But not just any cleaning product. One thing you have to realize is that if a residue is left on the metal, the beads will not stick well.
Getting a product with a polishing compound seems like a good idea, ordinarily, but not when it comes to enamel beads making.
Luckily, the Penny Brite cleaner doesn’t contain polishing compounds. And, it doesn’t leave behind any residues, so you can rest assured nothing will interfere with the adhesion of the beads.
If you’re on a budget, this product will be a good selection. First, it is low priced. And again, you don’t need much. Only a little application goes a long way.
Do you hate strong chemical odors? Have you used cleaning products with strong or pungent smells? Forget those. The Penny Brite has a minimal smell, and it sure won’t affect you.
There’s only one issue you need to keep in mind with regards to this product. It requires rinsing. That isn’t very convenient but for all the benefits offered, it’s definitely not a deal-breaker.
- Easy to use paste
- Eco-friendly formula
- Comes with an applicator
- No polishing compound – can be used for enamel beads
8. Wright’s Copper and Brass Cream Cleaner
- Long-Lasting Shine – The finest ingredients keep copper, bronze & brass beautiful for many years to come.
- Easy – It takes just seconds to effortlessly polish, rinse & dry for a brilliant, mirror-like shine.
- Effective – Helps bring your brass pieces back to its original beauty by erasing the discoloration.
- Protect – Anti-tarnish formula leaves behind a protective coating that delays tarnish from reforming
- Use On – Tarnished copper mugs, pots, pans, sinks, doorknobs & other copper pieces around your home.
The Wright’s Copper and Brass Cream Cleaner is a paste with the finest ingredients to not only remove grime from your metals but to leave a lasting sheen and protective layer.
It’s one product you can count on to keep your metal items beautiful for a few years before needing another application.
Ideally, this cleaner is meant for copper and brass. However, many people are using it to clean bronze, stainless steel, and other metals with amazing results.
Because of its versatility, the product can be used on sinks, pans, door knobs, mugs, and pots. In fact, almost all metal items around your home.
There are two things that you will, without a doubt, love about this cleaner. First, the ease of application. All you need to do is apply some of the past on a sponge or applicator and use that to buff the surface you’re cleansing.
And secondly, the speed with which it acts. Within seconds to a few minutes of application, the stains are totally loosened. Wiping them off becomes a cinch and you don’t need much elbow grease.
If you hate to do hard rubbing and spend too much energy cleaning stuff, then this cleaner is suitable for you. Thanks to the potency of the formula, the tarnish is removed without requiring hard rubbing.
Afraid of using cleaners that will scratch your metal items? You’ll be glad to know that even though this product is strong, it doesn’t leave scratches or micro-scratches on your items. It’s one of the safest options you can get.
- Leaves a lasting sheen
- Very effective for removing stains
- Leaves a protective layer
- Easy to use
9. Wright’s Copper Cream By Weiman
- BRILLIANT COLOR AND SHINE: Wrights Copper Cream can easily clean and restore the color and shine on your copper cookware and other fine copper. Fast-acting and odor-free, Wright’s Copper Cream erases…
- GREAT FOR ALL COPPER SURFACES: Wright’s Copper Cream is excellent for cleaning all types of copper, such as mugs, pots, pans, sinks and any copper hardware. Fast-acting and odor-free, Wright’s Copper…
- SELECT YOUR FAVORITE: Wright’s offers multiple ways to restore the shine to your copper. Also consider Wright’s industrial size Copper Cleaner.
- DIRECTIONS FOR USE: 1. Rinse copper in warm water 2. Rub directly onto copper using the enclosed sponge or a clean cloth 3. Rinse with water then dry and buff using a clean, soft cloth. Do not use on…
- SPECIFICATIONS: Package includes: (3) 8oz. Jars of Wright’s Copper Cream.
Here’s another copper cleaning cream that homeowners really love. The Wright’s Copper Cream By Weiman is one of the rare metal cleaning products as it’s not ordinarily found in stores, but you can get it from amazon.
The reason why people love this product so much is very simple – it works. This is not one of those products that will fail or corrode the surface of your metal items. It is very effective when it comes to removing tarnish and stains, and it doesn’t harm your surfaces.
Perhaps your door knobs (or whatever metal surfaces you’re looking to clean) are very old and rusty. Maybe you’re wondering if there’s any cleaner that can work.
Before incurring the extra cost of replacement, give this Wright’s cleaner a shot.
Many people have attested to getting surprising results. As many users can tell you, the product reaches into the grime’s frameworks, removing the stains and tarnish efficiently. Even when the grime is too much, the product still works, so give it a try.
This cleaner is advertised as a solution for stains on copper. But, we’d like to let you know it also works on brass. So if you have items made of brass, the cleaner suits you.
The only shortcoming is that it doesn’t seem to work on other metals apart from copper and brass.
Nevertheless, we recommend getting it because when it comes to cleaning these two metals, this is one of the best products you can find.
- Excellent for cleaning brass and copper surfaces
- Doesn’t contain odors
- Acts fast
10. Copperbrill Cleaner for Copper
- 0.15-quart jar of copper cookware cleaner
- Returns original shine to copper pots and pans
- Applies to outside surface with included sponge
- Wipes clean with water to deliver results in seconds
- Includes enough paste to clean cookware for months
Looking for the perfect cookware cleaner? You got to try the Copperbrill Copper Cleaner. This is a metal cleaning paste that is specifically formulated to remove burnt-on stains and discoloration from copper pots and pans.
If stains and tarnish are diminishing the beauty of your cookware, then this is the best copper cleaner for you.
It will not only remove the spots and discoloration but also restore the pots and pans to their original luster, or at least something close to that.
The ease of use of this product is one of the aspects that led us to include it in this review. It comes as a paste and all you have to do is use a sponge to apply a layer of it to the surface you’d like to clean.
Luckily, you don’t have even to go searching for an applicator, as the package includes a sponge applicator.
Looking at the container, you might wonder if that will be enough to use on all your cookware. But the surprising thing is that there’s enough paste in there to last you months, helping you keep your pans and pots absolutely free of stains and discoloration.
Another thing that we loved very much about this cleanser is that it is highly effective, and this is part of the reason why it’s able to last. Just a small application goes a long way, thanks to the high potency.
Then again, because of the potency of the formula, not much effort is needed to clean. Buy this if you want to save your elbow grease.
The only drawback is that it seems to work only on copper, but that is not a deal-breaker.
- Awesome cleaner for copper cookware
- Restores the original sheen
- Comes with a sponge applicator
11. Cameo Copper and Porcelain Cleanser
Toilets, sinks, and bathtubs are prone to discoloration and staining.
If any of these items in your home are stained or discolored, and you’d like to restore them to their beautiful condition, then you’ll find the Cameo Copper and Porcelain Cleanser very helpful.
This product is specially formulated to deal with stains on copper and porcelain items.
The Cameo cleaners comes in the form of a powder. All you have to do is sprinkle some of it on the affected parts after wetting them a bit.
Something that you will undoubtedly love about this product is that is acts speedily. Within a minute or so of application, the powder loosens most of the dirt, and with just a little scrubbing, all the grime readily gets off the surface.
One of the cool things about this cleaner is that it makes it possible to use just a little effort. Thanks to its potency, only a little elbow grease is needed.
Aside from cleaning out the dirt, the product also functions as a polish. It beautifully restores the sheen of your brass door knobs, porcelain toilets, bathtubs, and anything else that you’re cleaning.
Something else we discovered about this cleanser is that apart from brass, copper and porcelain, it also works perfectly with stainless steel.
So, if your stainless steel sink or anything else around your home made of this material looks a little dull, you can use the product to restore its luster.
And lastly, the Cameo Copper and Porcelain Cleanser is one of the inexpensive options. Go for it.
- Great for porcelain, copper and brass
- In powder form
- Removes dirt effectively
12. Pro Shot 8-Ounce Copper Solvent IV
- Formulas uses activated positively charged ions that have an affinity for copper and its oxides
- New innovative formula is a smarter, healthier, and environmentally safer way to clean than the old brute force method of throwing harsh chemical at copper fouling with the Ammonia solvents
- Rust and Corrosion Inhibitors, No offensive Odor
- All Pro Shot products made in USA from USA components
There are many reasons why the Pro Shot 8-Ounce Copper Solvent IV has such excellent customer ratings. It is effective, easy to use, and its effects are long-lasting.
This product comes in a liquid form, so the application is rather easy. The liquid is a formula that is set to have high affinity for copper items or items made of copper oxides.
Thus, if you’re looking to clean stains from copper or its oxides, you will find the product incredibly useful.
Guess what we loved most about this product – the fact that it contains only a minimal amount of ammonia. And do you know what that means? You see, many cleaners contain lots of ammonia, and while it boosts the cleaning power, the ammonia irritates the surface of metals, leaving dents or scratches.
Ammonia, as you probably already know if you’ve used metal cleaners before, also has a disgusting smell.
So, the fact that there’s only a little ammonia in this product means you can safely clean your copper items without the fear of scratching or denting them.
The ammonia odor is very mild in this product, so if you hate odors, then the product will be a good selection.
Yes, there’s no ammonia in there, but when it comes to effectiveness, this is one of the top products. It efficiently loosens the dirt on your copper surfaces, making removal a piece of cake.
Additionally, the formula leaves behind a coating that offers protection from rust and corrosion for a few months.
- Liquid form
- Easy to use
- Minimal ammonia – reduces the risk of scratching and denting
- Very mild odors
Copper bathroom sinks
13. Premier Copper Products W900-WAX Protectant
- Made From Natural Bee’s Wax
- Makes Copper Sinks and Granite Tops Acid Resistant
- No Wax Build Up Ever!
- No Fingerprints
- Prevents Bathroom Mirrors From Fogging
Do you have copper sinks in your home? When they’re new, they look great, don’t they? And then comes the hard water. It leaves mineral deposits, creating unsightly spots allover and discoloring the surface.
But these aren’t problems you have to worry about if you have the Premier Copper Products W900-WAX Protectant. This product easily dissolves the spots and restores the sink to its original glory.
Another issue that gives homeowners a headache with regards to copper sinks is acids. You see, copper sinks come with an elegant finish.
But when acids spill on the sink, or when foods containing acids come into contact with the sink for a long time, the finish wears, dwindling the beauty.
Applying the Premier protectant regularly creates a wax layer that prevents the acids from coming into direct contact with the surface of your copper sink. That way, the finish stays protected, and the beauty stays.
The product comes in the form of a spray, so you can bet the application is super easy.
After cleaning the sink with water, you just have to give it a light spray with the product and then buff and little. Once you wipe off, you’ll see that the product leaves a wonderful gloss.
Unfortunately, the gloss fades with time, so it’s necessary to spray after every few days to keep your sink looking nice and shiny, or at least when you’re entertaining. But that’s it with copper sinks. They need maintenance.
Did we say the product also works for bathroom mirrors? If you need to protect them from fogging, you got to try this product.
- Multipurpose – acts as a cleaner and a wax
- Leaves a protective wax layer
- Protects copper sinks against acids
- Protects bathroom mirrors against fogging
- Easy to apply spray
How to Choose The Best Copper Cleaner?
Products for cleaning metals are extremely important as they help keep metal surfaces free of spots and discoloration. They help maintain that beautiful luster for longer.
But, now that there are so many such products on the market, how do you know which one to use? Well, the considerations below should help you choose.
Type of application
There are various types of metal cleaning products based on the application. More often than not, you can get a powder, liquid, paste or spray. Which one do you prefer working with? If you’re looking for the easiest to use, we’d advise you to go for a spray product.
With a spray, you just push a button and apply precisely to the parts you’d like to clean.
Sensitivity of the surface you’re cleaning
What are you looking to clean? Is it precious jewelry or is it your siding or kitchen sink? Are you okay with the product creating micro-scratches on the surface as long as the dirt gets off?
These are the questions to ask. If the product contains a high amount of ammonia, then there’s likely to be scratches. The lesser the ammonia, the lower the risk of scratching and denting.
If you care about the environment, you definitely want to know if the product you’re using is safe.
Unfortunately, it is not very easy to look at a product and gauge its eco-friendliness.
That’s because in this profit-driven economy, manufacturers don’t usually declare all the ingredients they’ve used in making their products.
But, by listening to what other people say, especially expert reviewers like us or ordinary customer reviews, you’ll be able to know which products are safe.
Apart from that, you can look for products with environmental certifications.
When looking for chemicals, most of us prefer those that have minimal to no smells.
When it comes to metal cleaning products, the higher the ammonia content, the stronger the smell. Look for products with a lower ammonia content to avoid the odors.
Types of Copper Cleaners
There are various ways of categorizing copper cleaners. The most common ways, however, are two – by the type of application involved or by the type of ingredients involved.
Based on the type of application, there are 4 types of copper cleaners:
These come in the form of liquids in a bottled container. You just remove the lid and pour the liquid on the applicator or directly on the surface you’re cleaning.
These come as powders in a container. The powder can either be sprinkled through the perforated top (if the bottle has one) or just poured evenly on the surface or a sponge or cloth applicator.
These are for the optimal ease of use. All that’s needed is to press the can at the top, and the product (which is kept under pressure in the can) comes out.
Cream metal cleaners are also very common. You just run the applicator on the cream and then use the applicator to rub the surface you’re cleaning.
Based on the ingredients, there are commercial chemical cleaners and biodegradable cleaners, which are often household or organic products.
Of course, commercial chemical products are more effective, but when it comes to eco-friendliness, the organic products are better.
If you get one of those commercial cleaners, go for one with a lower ammonia and acid content, as these are more eco-friendly.
How to Use Copper Cleaners?
The way you’re going to use your metal cleaner will depend on its type. Is it a liquid, paste, powder or spray?
If you’re using a spray cleanser, here’s what you need to do:
- Use water to clean the surface you’d like to revamp before cleansing it with the product.
- Shake the can well.
- Spray the surface you’re looking to clean, giving focus to the more affected parts.
- Some cleaning products will require you to scrub a lot while other will require only a little scrubbing to get rid of the dirt. It all depends on the potency of the product.
- After spraying, give the solution a few moments to soak the surface and loosen the dirt. Then, use a microfiber towel (and a soft-bristle if necessary) to scrub the surface.
- Once you’ve scrubbed the surface, rinse with water (if applicable) and then use a clean microfiber towel to buff and polish.
If you’re using a liquid, powder, or paste:
- Clean, rinse, and slightly dry the surface you’re cleansing with a towel.
- Apply the product to a wet sponge.
- Use the sponge to rub the surface you’re cleaning. Move in circular motions until you’ve covered all the parts you’d targeting.
- Give the application a few minutes or the recommended time to take effect.
- If applicable, use soft-bristle brush to scrub the surface and loosen the dirt even more.
- Rinse the surface with warm water and dry it with a towel.
Copper cleaners FAQ
Q1. What items are normally made of copper at home?
In a household, there are many items that are often made of copper.
The most common items include kitchen sinks, plumbing pipes, wires, door knobs, toilet paper holders, and cooking pots.
Q2. Why do I need a copper cleaner?
Copper, like other metals, is prone to rust, discoloration, water spots, mineral deposits, acids, and other factors that dwindle value.
To remove stains and keep your copper items looking good, a copper cleaner will be helpful. It can return a dull copper item to an almost new condition.
Q3. Do copper cleaners clean other metals?
There are some copper cleaners that only work with copper.
However, most of these products work with other metals as well, including bronze, brass, and steel. Some also work with materials like ceramic and porcelain.
Q4. What’s the best method to clean my metal items?
The best way to clean metal depends on the type of metal you’re dealing with as well as the extent of the grime.
If you’re dealing with an only lightly stained metal item, household products like lemon and baking soda will do.
However, if the metal is heavily stained, then it’s better to use a commercial cleaning product.
Q5. How can I clean tarnished metals using household products?
Make a thick paste made of vinegar, salt, and flour. Or, mix lemon juice or lime with salt.
Use either of these pastes to rub the affected surface and after a minute or two, rinse with water and dry with a towel.
Note, these household products aren’t very effective, so use them only for light stains. Heavy stains will need commercial products.
Q6. Can I use baking soda to clean metals?
Like other household products, baking soda can be used to remove mild stains.
However, when using it, be cautious because if you let it sit too long on the surface, baking soda can oxidize and discolor the surface. This is especially true when dealing with aluminum.
Q7. How do I make metal regain its shine?
Over time, the polish that comes with new metals fades.
Thankfully, most of the cleaners listed in our review above contain a polishing compound. The compound leaves a glossy layer on the metal you’re cleaning.
Q8. How do you clean metals for enamel bead making?
There’s one thing about enamel bead making.
If you place them on a polished metal surface, they won’t stick well. So, when cleaning the metal, you got to use a product that doesn’t come with a polishing compound.
Try the EZ Brite Penny Brite Copper and Brass Cleaner which is listed in the review above.
What is the best copper cleaner?
Folks, as we come to the end, there’s one question we’d like you to answer in your heart. Have you found the best copper cleaner?
I trust that my buying guide was helpful.
My research section contains a range of products that I have personally tried, some that are specialty copper cleaners some copper polishers and some that you can use for other metals as well.
Follow my suggestions to find out the ultimate copper cleaner for your specific needs.