Our modern lifestyle has left us with little space for even a short respite. Even on the hard-earned weekends, we are either caught up with the house chores and responsibilities or just resting to drive the fatigue away. But things don’t always have to be like this, right?
Imagine going out to a lake on a fine day and just spending your time fishing or taking in the peaceful scenery away from all the hubbub. Sounds like a better way to relax, does it not?
And the only thing stopping you from getting on with it (apart from not having a boat) is a trolling motor that doesn’t do its job.
How to Know it’s Time for a Change
Ever went fishing, but none of the fishes would come near you because the motor of your vessel is too loud? Or maybe you did catch something, but when it was time to go back to the shore and count your blessings, the motor malfunctioned, abandoning you to paddle back by yourself?
If yes, you are not alone! A lot of times, the short reprieve we earned with great difficulty is rendered waste because of malfunctioning, old, or not up to the standard machinery and equipment. The moment of peace away from all problems turns into another problem, and this is when you know…
It’s time for a change.
Newport Vessels Kayak Series Trolling Motor
- KAYAK SHAFT: 24-inch fiberglass shaft allows for variable depth placement, while offering a lifetime of dependable performance.
- VARIABLE SPEED: 8 speeds (5 forward & 3 Reverse) with 6-inch telescoping handle puts you in total control of your ride.
- SALTWATER RATED: Durable all aluminum motor head w/ corrosion resistant magnesium, zinc, and stainless-steel hardware for saltwater use (Lead-Acid DC 12V).
- EXTRA LONG CABLES: 5'6" battery cables allow for versatile battery placement for optimal weight distribution (Battery Not Included).
- USA & SERVICE: Newport Vessels is based in California with a full in-house customer service team (M-F 9am-5pm PST). For any questions or concerns, contact us directly!
Newport Vessels isn’t as popular as Minn Kota, but it can still hold its own when it comes to products and services. The Kayak Series Trolling Motor we are going to take a look at today is one of these products, and it has a lot of features worthy of being talked about.
The company claims that this trolling motor is designed for optimal performance for all canoes and kayaks. To what extent this claim holds true is for you to decide after going through all the facts, but for now, let’s take a quick look at the pros and cons of the Kayak Series Trolling Motor:
- It can be used in freshwater and saltwater both because of corrosion resistance.
- It comes with a 40 AMP circuit breaker to counter against any electrical damage.
- Good value for money and a 2-year limited warranty.
- The motor head and handle are not waterproof; it might easily give away in the face of heavy rain or any splashing.
- The package doesn’t come with batteries included.
- The motor uses up too much battery, not good for long sessions.
What Does it Have to Offer
Now that you have some idea about what you are dealing with, let’s check out the features of the product and what benefits does it have to offer:
Newport Vessels Kayak Series’ Trolling Motor comes in two variations – 36 lb and 55 lb. There are only two differences between both, one is the number of propellers, and another is the battery.
While the 36 lb model has two black propellers, the 55 lb one comes with three, and their battery is 30 AMP and 52 AMP, respectively. All the other features are similar, and the propellers are fiberglass reinforced.
The shaft is 24 inches and can be adjusted to cater to the required depth placement, and its fiberglass composite. The handle is 6 inches, telescoping, and the mounting brackets are durable, providing more stability.
Coming back to the main component, the motor has a convenient directional lock feature and also a total of 8 speeds – 5 forward and 3 reverse speeds – sound like a good feature, if they work, that is. While the first speed is really fast, the subsequent ones don’t show much change.
On the contrary, the reverse speed feature has a knack for going MIA… sorry, that was a bad joke, but you get my point. The speeds don’t differ much from each other, and even the lowest one is kind of fast. And though the motor itself is relatively quiet, the speed is enough to scare away the fish and your heart, if you don’t have a knack for adventure sports!
The Kayak series’ trolling motor has a 5 point LED battery indicator, blue in color and not glaring, but it’s not the most reliable. How far you can go depends on your speed, the time ranging from 1.5 to a little bit over 4 hours, but through all this, you don’t get the option to turn the indicator off.
While this may be a good thing for the more cautious or forgetful ones among us, for many, it is quite a pet peeve. The unit itself isn’t on the lighter side, and unless your kayak is a good 350 lb, the chances are that it won’t be able to get along well with this one.
In the end, this motor seems more suitable for canoes despite the claims of being compatible with both canoes and kayaks. But we can’t hold it against it, after all, what is heavy for one might be relatively lighter for another.
The features are not bad, but what more can Newport Vessels Kayak Series Trolling Motor do to make the outing a better experience for you? If you are interested in this one, you might find these features convincing:
- The battery cabling is an extended 5 ft. 6 inches, which means the battery placement is pretty flexible.
- The unit has a corrosion-resistant powder coating, making it more durable and easy to use even in saltwater.
- It uses only one 12 volt Deep Cycle or Marine battery to function. And though batteries are not included in the package, you can easily acquire them.
- The maximum vessel size it can support is an 11 ft. kayak.
- The two-blade propellers are 8.9 inches each, ensuring better balance and efficiency.
- Kayak Series Trolling Motor comes with a warranty of 2 years, and since it’s on the more affordable side, it’s a good value for money product.
But who doesn’t like more options? Here are two for you:
1. Newport Vessels X Series Trolling Motor
This one comes with a saltwater compatibility too. With a 36 inches adjustable shaft length and 40 lb thrust, it is just 21 lb in weight. It also has a tilt feature on the handle and can adjust up to 30 degrees. There are two more variations of this trolling motor available for your consideration – one with 55 lb thrust and another is 55 lb too, but with camo.
2. Newport Vessels NV Series Trolling Motor
Maybe one of the better known ones when it comes to Newport Vessels trolling motors. The NV Series comes in a total of 5 variations. You can choose to go with any of the 32 lb, 46 lb, 55 lb, 62 lb and 86 lb thrust capacity motors. It has good battery life and works pretty noiselessly.
Newport Vessels Kayak Series Trolling Motor has quite a bit to offer. Personally, I like the fact that the length of the unit can be adjusted according to the need of the hour and that it doesn’t burden my wallet.
Though the battery gauge does bring in some disappointment and despite being the ‘Kayak’ series, the unit goes better with a canoe… At the end of the day, the number of pros (and the economic aspect) outweigh it all for me personally.
So if you plan to enjoy your short reprieve in a stable canoe and speed is your friend, Newport Vessels Kayak Series Trolling Motor might just be what you are looking for!