The best port and starboard lights help you stay safe in the water. The night could be dangerous if you have poor visibility.
Over the years, we have seen different companies’ products different types of port and starboard lights.
If you are wondering what we are talking about, we mean boat navigation lights. Lights are important in the marine sector.
The requirements and specifications of these best port and starboard lights are essential to anglers.
Table of Contents
Comparison Table for the Best Port and Starboard Lights
|Port and starboard lights
|Obscurso Boat Navigation Light
|· The product is an Innovative LED optical
· It has a waterproof design that can improve lifespan and brightness
· It passed the requirements of USCG for 2 nautical mile visibility
· The product is durable and dependable
· Its casing is made of chrome-plated zinc
· The light reduces circuit issues
|· Lacks important screws
|Attwood 14190 Boating Navigation Lights
|• Water-resistant and has a better longevity
• Displays excellent versatility with portable light
• It offers evenly distributed bright light
• Visible two miles away
• You can adjust the mounting clamp easily
• The light offers shock-proof housing
• Easy to install with wires
|· The clips should be handled with care to prevent from breakage
|Obscurco LED Boat Navigation Light
|• The light offers an appealing sight for the boat
• It complies with the regulations on fisheries and marine boat
• Produce vivid, bright light
• The product offers waterproof navigation light
• Its installation is easy
• The product can adhere well to the surface
|· It has no indication of the lights’ color
|Shangyuan Boat Navigation Lights
|· It offers one year warranty
· Provides off bright light that is not blurry
· The light is ideal for pontoons, sailboats, and kayaks.
· Shock-proof, water-proof, and dust-proof
· The light saves energy by reducing powder and temperature and power
· The product is more effective than the standard, pole-style of navigation lights
· Offers free screw set and foam tape bases
|· Requires more strength when tightening the screws
|12v Marine LED Boat Navigation Lights
|• It has 16 pieces of LED to give a clear and bright light
• The product offers 225 degrees radiation angle
• Met requirements set by the United States Coast Guard
• Easy installation and lightweight
• Made of ABS plastic material and durable
• IP65 waterproof
|• Require bigger holes for tightening the screws
The Best Port and Starboard Lights
Here are some of the best port and starboard lights:
Obscurso Boat Navigation Light
Obscurso Boat Navigation Light is among the best port and starboard lights. It is regarded as a top LED navigation light.
The product has a radiation angle that is up to 225 degrees and is so bright. Its green and red lights are made of innovative LED optical designs.
The design ensures that the light reduces the heat accumulation and helps the light to last long.
The product withstands interference of fog or mist. You can see the light from a distance. Its USCG supports 2 nautical mile visibility.
The light’s casing is made of chrome plated zinc proves it. The light works with DC 12V and is powered by 3W. It is 1.7” high, 3.9” long, and 3.1 wide.
The setup is simple. Users can attach the screws using an old-fashioned drill or an electric drill.
- The product is an Innovative LED optical
- It has a waterproof design that can improve lifespan and brightness
- It passed the requirements of USCG for 2 nautical mile visibility
- The product is durable and dependable
- Its casing is made of chrome plated zinc
- The light reduces circuit issues
- Lacks important screws
Attwood 14190 Boating Navigation Lights
When it comes to the best port and starboard lights, Attwood 14190 Boating Navigation lights come in handy.
The light power and price are good. You cannot get lost with this light while sailing. Small boats can use it because it is portable.
You can see the light two miles away. The light complies with the laws of most states in terms of using navigation lights.
The kit is made up of red and green navigation lights. The white LED stern light, fast release of C clamp, pole, and hardware are for mounting.
You can easily position the light. The light is powered by three pieces of AAA battery. It uses high quality lithium that can last for a year.
The shatterproof polycarbonate lens, LED lights, and the essential parts are secured in a shock-proof housing.
It comes as one of the most durable port and starboard lights. Attwood navigation lights are strong with high-quality testing.
You can easily install it. It has a 32” pole for the stern light. It can be dismounted for storage.
- Water-resistant and has a better longevity
- Displays excellent versatility with portable light
- It offers evenly distributed bright light
- Visible two miles away
- You can adjust the mounting clamp easily
- The light offers shock-proof housing
- Easy to install with wires
- The clips should be handled with care to prevent breakage
Obscurco LED Boat Navigation Light
The Obscurco LED Boat Navigation Light makes your boat look appealing and cool. It complies with fishing regulations.
You can use the light for your fishing and sailing purposes. The red and green strip lights emit bright and vivid light.
18 5050 LEDs per strip and high color reaction are the factors that help this product achieve its purpose.
The product is waterproof and can be submerged into water. The best port and starboard lights like this product stay functional inside water.
The installation is simple. However, you have to clean its surface first. The length of each strip light is 12 inches.
- The light offers an appealing sight for the boat
- It complies with the regulations on fisheries and marine boat
- Produce vivid, bright light
- The product offers waterproof navigation light
- Its installation is easy
- The product can adhere well to the surface
- It has no indication of the lights’ color
Shangyuan Boat Navigation Lights
The LED boat navigation lights offer you a modern appearance. It comes small and provides bright light.
The strip lights is in a combination of red and green. The brightness and appearance stand out.
The navigation light can work as a starboard light, bow light, portlight, and stern light. This light is ideal for sailboats, small boats, kayaks, and pontoons.
The PC lens and casing are reliable. The product are dust-proof, water-proof, and shock-proof.
The strip light measures 3.8 inches each. The power supply is DC 12V. It has two wires that can be attached to its electric or battery system.
The wires come labeled by colors and enable you to connect them effortlessly. It has a form tape base and a set of screws.
- It offers one year warranty
- Provides off bright light that is not blurry
- The light is ideal for pontoons, sailboats, and kayaks.
- Shock-proof, water-proof, and dust-proof
- The light saves energy by reducing powder and temperature and power
- The product is more effective than the standard, pole-style of navigation lights
- Offers free screw set and foam tape bases
- Requires more strength when tightening the screws
12v Marine LED Boat Navigation Lights
The product is relatively small and suitable for small boats. It comes well structured as a light for fishing and navigation.
The light comes with 16 pieces of LEDs in a single light. It offers a 225-degrees radiation angle for a wider scope of light.
The safety of people is assured with the aforementioned features. The light complies with the rules set by the United States Coast Guard.
It has a red and green bow light that is recognizable from a far distance. It can reduce the blind spot at night.
The product is worth your money. The product is lightweight and durable. It is created from ABS plastic material.
Heavy rain and strong wind do not after it because it is IP65 waterproof. The installation is easy.
- It has 16 pieces of LED to give a clear and bright light
- The product offers 225 degrees radiation angle
- Met requirements set by the United States Coast Guard
- Easy installation and lightweight
- Made of ABS plastic material and durable
- IP65 waterproof
- Require bigger holes for tightening the screws
Interwebz Boat Bow Navigation
The best port and starboard lights are great to use. Likewise, Interwebz Boat Bow Navigation is durable and effective.
The navigation light kit contains the 12-inch red and green strip lights. It comes with a black background strip.
The strip lights offers extreme brightness. It makes the boat look sleek. The boat navigation light makes the boat detectable even from afar.
The product is great for navigational visibility. It comes as IP68 waterproof. This means you can submerge the light into the water.
It has a silicon covering. However, adhesion is a problem with light strips. The product has 6-feet black wire leads to make installation convenient.
- Its strips come with black background
- Produces extreme brightness
- You can detect it clearly from long distance
- IP68 waterproof
- Installation is convenient
- Silicone glue is needed for applying.
Is port red or blue?
There are navigation rules set for lighting in the marine industry. The two sides of each vessel are marked, dusk to dawn, by navigation lights.
The starboard side is green and its port side by red.
Why is port red and starboard green?
Color code system is use to prevent vessels from collision. Red is the international convention for the port side, while green is the color for the starboard side.
What is the purpose of port and starboard?
Port and starboard are the official directions for left and right on all vessels, and this convention was laid down in the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea.
Do ship always dock on port side?
Ships can dock on either port or starboard side, depending on the layout of the port itself.
Port and starboard brass light
Port and starboard brass light prevents confusion should either ship’s navigator steer a sharp turn to the side.
The green light is used on the starboard side. This means that the ships do not pass starboard to starboard when they approach each other.
Port and starboard electric lights
ships traveling towards each other (bow to bow) know that their Red or port light should pass the oncoming vessel on the port side which has the visible red light.
Port and starboard beacons
When entering harbor (up stream) the red port mark should be kept on the vessel’s port (left) side the green mark on the vessel’s starboard (right) side.
When leaving harbor (down stream) the red port mark should be kept on the boat’s starboard (right) side and the green mark on the vessel’s port (left) side.
Port and starboard buoys
Port Hand and Starboard Hand Buoys Port hand buoys are green and starboard hand buoys are red. They show which side of a channel is safest to travel.
What is a starboard engine on a boat?
Sailors began calling the right side the steering side and later “starboard”.
Port and starboard engine
The port side is the side of the vessel that is to the left of an observer aboard the vessel and facing the bow.
The starboard is to the right of such an observer.
Types of port and starboard lights
All-Round White Light
This light is called the unbroken light and can cover the arc of the horizon.
You see the white light on the vessel’s centerline. The navigation light emits a whole light over 225 degrees arc of the horizon.
The red light is for the port side and placed on the left while the green one for the starboard side and it is situated on the right side.
The sidelights are flush mount navigation lights that can be mounted horizontally and vertically.
It is a white light that is located near the stern. It produces unbroken light of 135 degrees over an arc of the horizon.
Benefits and drawback of using the port and starboard lights
The port and starboard lights let users to see if another vessel is coming. They illuminate so you avoid reduced visibility and obstruction.
The lights act as a guide against fog and darkness. The port and starboard lights guarantee safety.
The lights keep your boat away from being damaged. You can avoid paying a hefty fine when the authority catches you without navigation lights
The light saves lives and helps prevent accidents and collisions to maintain smooth and safe sailing for everyone on the water.
However, it has some drawbacks. The port and starboard lights are not directly weighed on navigation lights.